1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Tbenitez, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tbenitez

Tbenitez Thread Starter

I can receive internal mail, but no external mail. Also I am unable to connect to the Internet. The mail error says POP3 server cannot be found. All other users are connecting fine. SMTP is 25 and the POP3 is 110. The ISP was able to ping the machine. Any ideas????

2. stod73

stod73

Well, if you cannot connect to the internet you are not going to get external mail. Are you able to ping an external ip? What operating system are you using?

3. Tbenitez

Tbenitez Thread Starter

The O.S. is windows 98, Office 2000 SR-1. I can ping internal servers but nothing outside. ANy ideas???

4. stod73

stod73

So you are part of a network? Is there a DNS or WINS server being used? Perhaps the DNS or WINS addresses need to be defined in the network setup.

5. Tbenitez

Tbenitez Thread Starter

Both the DNS and WINS addresses are correct. That was a good thought.

6. Bruce319

Bruce319

Have you talked to your IT to make sure you can receive external email? There are options/settings to allow external email in the email host website for companies with a domain. The IT will also need to configure your smtp and pop settings.

7. Tbenitez

Tbenitez Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The smtp and pop are correct. The pc in question has been receiving mail. One day it worked the next it didn't. I wonder if the NIC is bad or maybe the slot on the hub?

8. Bruce319

Bruce319

Those could be the problem as well. To check if it's the hub slot, plug the rj45 connector to an existing slot where you know it works.

9. stod73

stod73

I was just re-reading this and had a thought. Are you logging onto a domain? Win98 is lame in that it does not force you to logon. So if you accidentally bypassed the login or logged on locally you would not be able to get email (making certain assumptions about your network environment).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice