1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2002 creates additional Personal folders

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GUY CHARLTON, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GUY CHARLTON

GUY CHARLTON Thread Starter

Every now and again I load Outlook and another set of Personal folders has been added under my current set. They completely duplicate the folders and messages already in my Personal Folders. I now have five sets of these - each a snap shot of my folders when it was created. I wish to delete them and, of course, I can delete those which duplicate the folders I created - but they contain Intray, Deleted Items etc. etc. which Outlook will not allow me to delete. How do I get rid of them and how do I stop Outlook creating new sets in the future?

My second problem with Outlook 2002 is that I wish to create weekly back ups and have always done so by exporting to a pst file. After many years of doing this I am now getting the message: 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' So, I am unable to over-write the previous file and have to create a file with a new name. This is OK except that I now have a very large number of pst files which I cannot delete - and it appears that Outlook is constantly adding data to them. Indeed, it seems that this is happening even on days when I have not exported, because the dates of the files are those of the latest day I have accessed my computer.

Can anyone help? Many thanks

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

3. GUY CHARLTON

Thanks very much for your reply, EAFiedler.

Sorry! I'm obviously being ignorant. I couldn't find an Outlook.pst file to copy; I looked in Documents and Settings\..\..\Microsoft\Outlook. I searched (checking hidden files as well) for all files *.pst. Still couldn't find it. I thought I'd do this first before downloading the software in case anything went wrong.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Good thinking. :)

In Outlook 2002:
    Right click the Root/Top folder of the Personal Folders,
    Properties for "Personal Folders" > General tab > Advanced button
    In the Filename: field the directory location and .pst file name for the Personal Folders (.pst file) can be found.

Use Windows Explorer to navigate to that directory and copy the .pst file.

5. GUY CHARLTON

Yes, this reveals the folder in which I was looking. There are five files in the Outlook folder in Microsoft (Documents and Settings) and none of them has the .pst extension. They are: outcmd.dat (4K), Outlook.FAV (32K), Outlook.NK2 (936K), Outlook.srs (3K) and OutlPrnt (38K). Could this be the issue causing my export problem do you think?

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Do you have Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled?

For Windows XP:
    • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
      Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
      under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
      Remove the check marks for:
      Hide Extensions for known file types
      Apply, OK to save and close.

Go back to that folder to see if the .pst files now reveal themselves.

7. GUY CHARLTON

Well, I did have hidden files checked already but I ran PST Ghost Buster and only two files are now displayed, of which one is Outlook.pst! Further to that I can now export the pst file - and copy the file if I wish to, also. In addition I have got rid of all those ghost Personal folders.

I cannot thank you enough. You have been so helpful and I am very grateful.

Thanks again

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

You are welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice