1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2002 "leave mail on server" not working

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by thebarron88, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thebarron88

thebarron88 Thread Starter

I am using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP with two users. On both user accounts I select the delivery option to "leave mail on server." This works fine with one user, but it is not staying "selected" with the other user. Let me explain: I check the box that says "leave mail on server" and while I'm in Outlook that session it seems to be working fine, but when I close Outlook and then open it again later to check email, I notice that it is not leaving mail on my server. I go back to the delivery setting and the "leave mail on server" check box is unchecked?? I've gone in and selected it at least 10 times and each time I log back in it is not checked anymore.

I checked the settings against the other user, where this option is working just fine and as far as I can tell both users' Outlooks are set up exactly the same.

I'm using McAfee SpamKiller, not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but I know these kinds of programs can affect email clients in wierd ways like this.

Does anyone know how I might be able to fix this?

I appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Thanks,

-B

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi thebarron88

Have you tried creating a new Profile for that user to see if those settings will remain in effect?

Let us know what happens.

3. thebarron88

Thanks, I'll try this and let you know the results.

-B

4. thebarron88

That worked. Thanks. I just deleted the profile then re-created it. Now it seems to be working, but now I'm getting duplicate emails...very frustrating.

-Brett

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Does McAfee have email scanning enabled? If so, have you tried disabling it?
    Also try disabling McAfee SpamKiller before downloading messages to see if that makes a difference.

Try setting the intervals to pick up messages to a longer time.
    Try increasing your server timeouts in your account settings.
    Do you have any Rules setup?
    When downloading messages, check if there is more than one instance of Outlook.exe running.

Along with the setting to leave messages on the server, do you also have it configured to delete messages from the server after so many days?
    Leave e-mail messages on your e-mail server

As a short term fix, this free tool will remove duplicates for you:
    Outlook Duplicates Remover
    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm

Another link concerning duplicates:
    http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Outlook-Duplicates.asp
    You are prompted for your password, and you may receive duplicate e-mail messages if your profile has two POP3 accounts in Outlook

Service Pack 3 is also available if you have not yet applied it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=ol2002&SD=OFFN&sid=139

Let us know what happens.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/363726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice