1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2002 opens repairs file and immediately closes

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AzuriteBlue, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AzuriteBlue

AzuriteBlue Thread Starter

I run Outlook 2002 (Office XP Professional). The program now opens, says that it is checking "archive folders" because it was not closed properly file being checked for problems. Looks like it may start to send/receive and then closes immediately. It has been prompting me every time I open it with this "archive folder" checking for a while, but the program has always run. This started first thing Friday after the send/receive. The archive.pst file is: 1,064,704KB and the Outlook.pst file is: 637,072KB. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this. I'd like to keep my contacts and files if possible. Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. Paladinz

Paladinz

Hi AzuriteBlue,

Two things come to mind, your .pst file is corrupt, or your Outlook install is corrupt.

First try to repair your Outlook instal :-
    You can backup your pst file if you're worried about losing any data.
    To run the Repair, make sure all Office programs are closed.
    Open Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs/Select your Office version and click Change/Remove.
    You will then have the option to Add components/uninstall/repair. Run the repair option and reboot the machine.
    Outlook will use whichever pst it's pointing to, so if the problem is with Outlook and not the pst file, and the Repair is successful, you will have your pst file and all its contents when you reopen Outlook.

If this does not resolve the issue you may need to repair your .pst file, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-an-ost-or-pst-file-in-outlook-HA001056300.aspx for information on this.

4. AzuriteBlue

Thank you for helping me with this. I run Windows XP and in the add/remove programs, I did not get an option for repair. I did, however, run Detect and Repair in Office. That didn't work. I went on to the Microsoft site and for the life of me can't find the Inbox Repair Tool they mention in the link you provided. I've searched all over. Can you help me with that? Do you have any other suggestions? Let me know and thanks much!

5. Paladinz

Paladinz

Was it not in the drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\LocaleID\ folder? A list of Locale ID's can be found HERE

6. AzuriteBlue

Yes, I finally found what the file name was and did find it where you indicated. I've run the Inbox Repair Tool twice, and repaired the errors, however, the program keeps opening, prompts it was closed improperly.... and then shuts down. What do I do next??? Thank you!!

7. Paladinz

Paladinz

You need to keep running the repair tool until there are no more errors.

I'm out of ideas for now, sorry.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947816