1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2002 re-downloads ALL Emails!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sallam, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sallam

sallam Thread Starter

After reformatting, and installing Outlook 2002 afresh, I direct it to my data files, which I always save in another drive of course. It works fine and all my old saved mail appears normally as before reformatting.
    The problem is, when I first click at 'Send/Receive' button, Outlook strangely starts to download ALL my mail from my pop3 mailserver. This is annoying, since I configure my mail clients to save a copy of Emails at the server, so that I can read old mail when I'm overseas on the webmail link.

Why is outlook re-downloads all mail, when old ones are already there in its data fies. I know that Outlook sees my data files correctly, because all my mail is already listed in Inbox, and all other boxes (sent, deleted, etc.)

With this behavior, I end up having 2 copies of each and every Email in Outlook Inbox.

Does anyone please knows how can I prevent it from downloading old mail that is already in its data files?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Your email server isn't a place to store your emails. Matter of fact, you'll find out real soon that you'll hit your size limit and not be able to receive emails anymore 'cause your mailbox is FULL.

Suppose you access mail from work and from home.

Likely, you want to save your mail at home. So when you set your work mail to pick it up, you tell it to leave it on the server. When you get home, it downloads it.

The only time when "leaving email on the server" permanently is appropriate might be when your company has an exchange server. But definitely NOT if you have Pop3 like you do. Whoever your ISP is will no doubt soon start returning emails because your mailbox is full...

3. sallam

sallam Thread Starter

thanks, but my limit cann't be easily reached, its my own mailserver. I'm the one who put the limit for other users ;)
    But, anyhow, your suggestion is not practical, because you're forgetting webmail, if you delete your mail immidiately, how can you review your older Emails when you are overseas? I leave my Emails for 300 days, and it proved useful more than once. It's always a plus to be able to access some of your mail history from anywhere in the world.

But what about my question, does anyone knows the answer?
    Someone told me that, in outlook, there is an index file that tells outlook which Emails were downloaded. I need to know where to find that file, its name, and if I can change its default place. I need to take it out of C drive to another drive that I dont reformat.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice