1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2002 smtp Outgoing Mail Server

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by outback1, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. outback1

outback1 Thread Starter

:confused: Can someone please supply me with the name of the outgoing mail server for outlook 2002. My ISP is MSN, but they don't seem to want to give it up. I've haven't been able to send an email out on outlook since before fall '02. I've tried everthing I know of and read countless references to no avail. At the moment, I'm trying smtp.msnmail.com. This is the closest I've come to completing a send. The current error is consistent "error 0x800ccc0f "the connection to the server was interupted". I have no problems with Hotmail. My email address is not MSN assigned. It is a company email issued by Verisign who host our website. I can receive with no problems.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Most ISPs won't let you send email using their SMTP server unless it's an email account they've issued and you've got to be connected using they're internet access account. I suspect MSN won't let you send with another email account that's not theirs but I could be wrong. Have you tried setting up your MSN email account in Outlook and sending an email using it, to see if it works? If it does, then you'll know that's the case.

3. Del

Del

Do you have an email account with MSN?
    If not, that is why you're not able to send, if so, set it up and use the same smtp server that they give you for your virison acct.

4. eflukey

eflukey

How can I setup an MSN account to sent my e-mails?

5. grybeard22

grybeard22

well its been awhile and I have heard that they dropped the pop server email and went strickly web based.

It used to be
    pop3.email.msn.com
    smtp.email.msn.com

try that and see if it works

But like Del said ...u have to be paying for an account for service from msn and if are and the tech that u call wont help u set it up just ask to be transfered to a supervisor.....u pay for the service and u should get the help......that used to be my worst pet peeve when I worked for them

good luck

6. us3rnam31

us3rnam31

Where do you people learn about computers?

smtp has built-in authentication that will not allow you to send outgoing mail unless you are connecting to the server from within the network. To put it in lamens terms, if you are not connected to the internet using MSN, you cannot use MSN's smtp server, and if you ARE connected to the net with MSN, then you obviously have a MSN email address. Secondly the outgoing mail server can be easily obtained from both their website, and over the phone. Not to mention it is on every single msn email sent out over the internet.

Windows (win'doze) n. A 32 bit patch for a 16 bit interface to an 8 bit operating system designed for a 4 bit chip from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition...

7. Del

Del

Hi us3rnam31,

Does this "Where do you people learn about computers?" have some hidden meaning?

I hope you're not insinuating what it sounds like.

At any rate, I had cable and dsl at the same time and could use either smtp server and send from either connection.
    When they put a block on mail relaying is when it stopped working.

8. us3rnam31

us3rnam31

It has no meaning, hidden or otherwise. It is a question, it is meant to inquire meaning, hence the punctuation. DSL and Cable are not dial-up, it is a faxscimile of LAN. I could type a 5 page long article describing the methods used in requesting authentication to a remote SMTP server using TCP/IP but I do not have time for that right now. Bottom line is, it does not work, at least according to two of the major Internet Service Providers I have worked for, a two week course on smtp I took, and about 100 calls per month I receive from dial-up users.

Windows (win'doze) n. A 32 bit patch for a 16 bit interface to an 8 bit operating system designed for a 4 bit chip from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition...

9. us3rnam31

us3rnam31

by the way..if your ISP has purposely set up a scenario in which OTHER SMTP servers can access the SMTP server directly and correspond with each other..that will work..good luck on that. Also, if you know what you can doing you can fake the location of your transmission and route it through the smtp of your choice, so my statement about it being impossible was wrong.

10. Del

Del

100 calls a month? Are you part time?
    haha
    Just kidding, all my experience, 4 years, has been with cable and dsl as first level and senior tech, very little dial.
    Have a nice day.
    :)

11. us3rnam31

us3rnam31

I take almost 100 calls a day. a guestimate of how many per month are SOLELY people attempting to relay through a third-party smtp server and failing is about 100

12. us3rnam31

us3rnam31

thats including DSL and cable, because most residential services do not support third-party smtp, especially DSL

13. Del

Del

wow, you'll must really have problems with smtp! I haven't had 100 calls in 4 years relating to relaying mail.
    But then I never did 100 calls a day either, I just can't seem to fix the problem, ensure it's fixed and give our customers that warm and fuzzy feeling and dump them off in 5 minutes which is what I would have to do a 100 calls in a day.
    However, now we probably do closer to 5 or 10 calls a day as they created a new group of senior techs that get all the new customers and setup everything from start to finish. We teach them how to connect, how to surf and use email and stay on the line with them if it takes two hours. The nice thing is that when we finish, the customer does not call back.
    They really like it and they have had nothing but good comments about it. Our repeat call rate it way down.
    Well, enjoy your evening.

14. us3rnam31

us3rnam31

damn dude, what ISP do you work for? I am lucky if I get 5 minutes without a call. I know exactly what you mean too, I was fired from a level one position for fixing the problem instead of hosing and closing, or transferring to a level two. They started taking pictures of my workstation while I was on calls to find a way to terminate me.

15. us3rnam31

us3rnam31

absolutely no problems with smtp tho, just with users who think they can use any ISP for any server.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice