1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 AutoArchive

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lucky5tar, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

How do you stop AutoArchive deleting old emails?

There's a tick box next to "Archive or delete old emails", I do want to archive but I don't want to delete them...

2. draceplace

draceplace

Tools\options\other(tab)...select 'auto archive' and do your settings.

3. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

I've already done that... hence the need for explanation of the term Archive or delete old emails

4. draceplace

draceplace

Archiving is not deleting files. It stores them in a folder you control that is easy to bring back up.

It beats have 100 or 1000s of (old) emails in outlook. If you are on a LAN I recommend you make an achive folder on a network drive that you know is backed up frequently. The default is in your profile (which can become an issue with roaming profiles).

5. eric996

eric996

DracePlace is correct. In the AutoArchive option dialog box, you can either choose (under Archive or delete old items) Move old items to: or Permanently delete old items. If you choose Move old items to: , then they are putting them into an archive.pst located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ which you can easily add to your Outlook through data file management.

Or you can choose Permanently Delete old items which will delete it.

Thats why the option says Archive OR delete old items

You have to set the options under that for what you want.

And if you are on a network domain and an exchange server that has mailbox size limits, you should really learn how to effectively utilize PST's. And like Draceplace said, make sure you put it on a network drive so it is accessible from anywhere inside your office.

6. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar Thread Starter

I know that!!

That's why I wondered why they were linked to same check box.

It's me asking you "do you want to watch TV or go to the shop?" and you answering "yes"; it doesn't answer the question.

In my opinion there should be a group of radio buttons allowing you to either archive or delete, having one button for two different actions was confusing.

Anyway thanks for all your help! (y)

7. eric996

eric996

But that would mean that you expect M$ to have a flawless product that makes sense!! And that doesn't make sense. lol

In the option box, if it did have the question do you want to watch tv or go to the shop and I answered yes, it will still have two radio buttons under that asking if I want to Watch TV or Go to the shop.

I think the heirarchy on this option is a little out of wack, but it makes complete sense (And I'm not really one to admit that when it comes to M$ products :)

But then again, if it wasn't for good ol Microsoft breaking down, I wouldn't really have a job fixing it.....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice