1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 calendar - copy data from old pst

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by spduffens, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spduffens

spduffens Thread Starter

I have a new computer with Outlook 2003 installed. I moved my Outlook 2002 personal.pst from the old machine to the new one and opened it in Outlook 2003 and copied each file folder’s information to the new file folders in Outlook 2003. Every thing is ok except the calendar.

I can't figure out a way to copy the calendar folder from the old pst file without creating a new calendar folder in the Outlook 2003 file. I end up with two calendar folders and I only want one.

I've tried to drag and drop from the left window pane under calendars and nothing happens. I've also tired to select the pst calendar/right click/copy and paste to the new calendar folder and it creates a second copy.

I've also tried to export to a text file, but you lose all your reoccurring appointments.

I know there must be an easy way to do this. Any help would be appreciated!

I’m using:
    Windows XP Media Edition SP2
    Office 2003 Basic

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Rather that going through all that, why not just configure the new version of Outlook to use whatever existing PST file you had before?

3. spduffens

spduffens Thread Starter

I didn't know how to configure Outlook 2003 to use an Outlook 2002 pst file as it's default and I wanted my data in the new Outlook 2003 pst file format.

I solved the problem by deleting the default pst file and starting over.

Apparently, the first time I tried to import from my old pst file I selected the wrong option for placement of the old pst information and it created a new folder in the current pst - Import items into the same folder in (Personal Folders).

The second time I selected: Import items into the current folder (Personal Folders), and the import worked correctly.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Another reason I like specifying the location of the PST file is that you have far greater flexibility by knowing where it is, how to back it up, and how to restore or more it to another computer. If you have a central computer that is backed up regularly, you can also have it be on another computer.

6. spduffens

spduffens Thread Starter

I wished I would have come across your site before starting this.

I still have one problem. When I open the address book from Tools/Address Book I get and error. The address list could not be displayed. When I look at the drop down list it shows three entries for Contacts. The first two entries show errors when I try to access them. The third entry pulls up my contacts list.

How do I delete the bogus entries?

I tried to go to Tools/Email Accounts and View or Change existing entries to Address Book but it only shows one entry.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You have found one of the reasons I do not like to do all that importing.

To get back on a single Contact list showing:

Go to you Mail setup
    E-Mail Accounts button
    View or change existing directories or address books
    Remove everything
    Add
    Additional Address Books
    Outlook Address book

This should get you back to one Contact list.

8. spduffens

spduffens Thread Starter

That did it . . . Thanks!

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad it worked. Took a while to figure that one out but luckily it's an easy fix.

Next time you have to do all this, save yourself a lot of hassle and just configure Outlook to use whatever PST data file you want.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice