1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook 2003 can't send or receive emails

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by BENDIGOBARB, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BENDIGOBARB

BENDIGOBARB Thread Starter

In Outlook 2003, I can't send or receive emails. I keep getting error message 0x8004210b - re operation timed out waiting for a response from the recieving (POP) server. I have contacted my ISP who has checked out my email settings (which by the way work on my laptop). The ISP technician suggested I reinstall MS Outlook which I have done. Microsoft suggests that I might have a clash with my email anti-virus program (which is Trend Micro P-Cillin Internet security 2007). Outlook runs and opens, the calendar updates but the emails just stopped sending and receiving at the end of April. In desperation I set up an account in Outlook Express with the same settings and it worked. I am connected to the internet via an adsl router modem. There are two other computers on the router all receiving and sending emails. I still think its a block somewhere from P-Cillin but can't prove it. My subscription is ending in the next few weeks for P-Cillin internet security so I thought I might not renew and take it off the computer. But remembering the problem I had with removing Nortons on another computer last year I also would like advice before I try to remove P-Cillin Internet Security. Any suggestions to get the emails going again would be welcome or help in removal of P-Cillin.

2. Pausebreak

Pausebreak

First thing is to make sure you have the latest updates installed. Then, a couple of things to try:

1. Have you increased the server timeout setting on your email accounts in Outlook? If not, try increasing it a little for each account.

2. Have you tried sending/receiving just one account? Assuming you have multiple accounts.

3. If you feel it is P-Cillin, you could try temporarily disabling it and trying to send/receive. This does leave you vulnerable for a short time.

4. Alternatively, you could download a free anti-virus program like AVG Free from Grisoft, uninstall P-Cillin, install AVG Free, and see if things work OK then. If you still have the problem, you can re-install P-Cillin.

Your hunch is probably correct. Firewall/antivirus programs often are the culprit in this type of error.

3. BENDIGOBARB

Thanks Pausebreak, yes I have increased the timeout to no avail. I only have one account (which works perfectly in MSOutlook on my XP laptop with same settings) I have disabled P-Cillin but no joy.
    So I think I should download AVG free from Grisoft. I will uninstall P-Cillin. and see if things work then.
    ONLY worry is uninstalling P-Cillin... Late last year I found out too late about uninstalling Nortons on my husband's computer. It left a residue of Nortons somewhere in the system and I couldn't install a copy of P-Cillin because it said Nortons was still installed. It still has AVG Free on it. So I will make another post maybe in another area to get some advice about uninstalling Nortons.

Thanks. Bendigo Barb

4. Pausebreak

Pausebreak

5. BENDIGOBARB

Thank you Pausebreak for your advice. I have taken off Trend P-cillin and guess what, Outlook started to download emails.

(y)

So I'm very happy. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice