1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 Contact merge question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by latenite76, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. latenite76

latenite76 Thread Starter

I have consolidated several Outlook Contact lists recently; two Outlook 2000 and one Outlook 2003 into a single Outlook 2003 install. I did this by exporting each 2000 folder as a .pst file and then importing them into the 2003 Contact folder. Afterwards, I found I was missing about 100 contacts out of 1500. These were random contacts, and not from one particular .pst file. When I happened to scroll down to the bottom of the current 2003 Contact folder, I found a second "contact" listing with the missing entries. It is not a second contacts folder, it is a second "contacts" listing in the main "Contacts" folder. In other words, I have two "contacts" listings in the main "Contacts" folder; same spelling, etc. I tried to copy/move the 100 entries to the main 1500 entries but no luck. I then moved the 100 entries to a subfolder, checked the main "Contacts" folder to make sure I only had one "contacts" listing left, and then I moved them back. This created the second "contacts" listing again. I then copied both sets of "contacts" to a second subfolder, and they merged fine. I then deleted all the entries in the main "Contacts" folder and copied the entries in the subfolder back to "Contacts". When I opened it, I had two sets of "contacts" listings again. I even tried to export the 100 as a .pst file and then import them back in "Contacts"; no go.

What gives? How do I get one listing in my "Contacts" folder? Is there some type of marker I need to delete? Any help is appreciated. Thanx.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I would THINK (and I really shouldn't do that) that you must create a NEW data file and COPY the contents of the folders into the new one.

3. PensRep

PensRep

I have a similar problem. I have two sets of contacts. One with many dulpicates, the other with just one set of names, email addresses etc. The contact with many duplicates appears to be the "main" contact folder and cannot be deleted. How can i get rid of these duplicates without purchasing a "duplicate remove| software?

4. PensRep

PensRep

i might add the Outlook terminology seems somewat confusing. We have pst files with all sorts of different names used by Microsoft in their help files.

5. kkoray

kkoray

yeah I will tell you more easy way. use this way add all the email database files in your email thru database file managment then move all the emails to new personal folder.
    copy all your contacts to new one then remove the old email databases this is the fastest and safest way I use. I just give overview I didnt explain exackly I don't hsave much time today. if you need more explanation let me know.

6. PensRep

PensRep

Thanks kkoray. I presume one can use excel files as DBs and merge the exel files. had not thought of doing that. Presumably i can get rid of the many duplicates in the main contact file that way.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I doubt that, PensRep. See File-->New-->Outlook Data File.

8. PensRep

PensRep

Anne, Thanks for your comments. However, going to Outlook Data file does not take me to Contacts. I'm trying to reduce my list of contacts to just one. At present i have two and would lke to delete the contacts that contain the dupes. what do you suggest after reaching "Outlook Data file"?

9. PensRep

PensRep

My apologies to latenite76 for inadvertently hi-jacking your question. I've found exporting contents of contact folders and/or sub-folders to excel has worked OK once I realised that "contacts" is a primary (non-deletable) folder. My suggestion would be to export both lots of contacts to separate excel files, then combine them into one file and import them back into a blank "contacts" file created first by deleting all entres in "contacts". Maybe you feel you've already done this?

10. PensRep

PensRep

Latenite76. Incidentally i answered my own question with the above procedure. I found that re-importing into the contacts folder created duplicates, partly because the procedure recommends this to save time. So unless you delete all previous entires in "contacts" the old ones will still be there. I'd be interested to know if you are successful or not.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice