1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003: Contacts not in Outlook Address Book

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ga6939russ, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ga6939russ

ga6939russ Thread Starter

I have reinstalled OL2003 and my account was imported from Outlook Express. However, I cannot figure out how to get my contact folder to show in my address book when I am looking for an address to send an email. The Address Book properties shows 'Contacts' as the address source, the first list to be searched and checked the option for it to be the contact folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:mad:

2. rpb

rpb

I have been working with various Outlook 2003 issues myself lately. Regarding your problem: On the OL menu, choose Go/Contacts so that your contacts are displayed in the right pane. Make sure that "Contacts" is selected in the My Contacts upper left hand pane. Choose File/Folder/Properties for 'Contacts'. In the dialog box that appears, choose the Outlook Address Book tab. Make sure that "Show this folder as an email address book" is checked. If it isn't, that may be your problem.

Let me know what happens.

RPB

3. ga6939russ

Thank you for your quick reply. I did as you suggested and saw that the check box is checked. The address book name is 'Contacts'. I still do not have any names in the address book that opens up for email address selections. Any more ideas?

ga6939russ

4. rpb

rpb

Hmm. One of the confusing things about Outlook is that there can be multiple Contacts folders, all called by the same name, "Contacts." In the Address Book window, when you choose Tools / Options, an "Addressing" dialog box opens, right? And you are saying that all of the items in that dialog box say "Contacts", right? Have you clicked the drop-down arrow next to each one to confirm whether there are additional items called Contacts? If there are, try clicking on one of the other Contacts in the list and see if that fixes the problem.

5. ga6939russ

You are right about that. All those 'Contacts' folders can be very confusing. I have deliberately gone through and tried to eliminate all but one of those from those lists. The first drop down shows 'Outlook Address Book' and 'Contacts'; the second; shows only 'Contacts'.

To be honest with you, I am getting tired of all the obfuscation that seems to be increasing in much of Microsoft's software and Windows. It seems like they are deliberately trying to shut out the amateurs, the hobbyists, etc. and forcing us to go to the "professionals" to accomplish anything. I wish we could get our "Personal" computers back so we could enjoy playing with them once again. As much as I have liked some of the helps and such afforded by Windows and the like, I almost wonder if we weren't better off with plain old DOS and the command line. It even seems like the internet has become more of a problem than it is worth what with email spam and malware. (Pardon my venting).

GA6939Russ

6. rpb

rpb

Ah yes, DOS, the command line, and batch files. That was the Golden Age, I fear.

Did taking those steps solve your problem?

7. ga6939russ

No. I still haven't gotten my contacts into the Outlook Address Book. Thank you.

GA6939Russ

8. rpb

rpb

It seems to me that in order to get my contacts from Outlook Express into Outlook, I had to, first, export the Windows Address Book (.wab file) from Outlook Express into CSV or similar lowest-common-denominator format. Then I used the File / Import-Export command in Outlook to import the addresses into the Outlook Contacts folder.

Did you ever go through that kind of process? Or are you assuming that importing your email messages from Outlook Express also grabbed your contacts? Try the export / import process. You may need to try a few different variations until one works. I think that's how it went for me ...

Rick

9. ga6939russ

Yes, that finally did it! Thank you for your patience with me. In the process, I also corrected the fact that the entries in 'Contacts' did not include email addresses. I figured out how to map those fields from the csv file to 'Contacts'. Thanks again.

Glenn

10. rpb

rpb

Great. Happy to help.

R

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice