1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 Created and Received dates backwards

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by charley000, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charley000

charley000 Thread Starter

Well, I just upgraded to Office 2003 with Outlook 2003. My old Outlook 2000 worked fine. However with Outlook 2003, the Created and Received dates on Internet email that I get are backwards. Outlook shows the received date as the date inside the actual email (i.e., the creation date) and the created date with the time Outlook got it. Among other things, this has the effect of showing the email was received before it was created!

This behavior only started today when I installed Outlook 2003. Note, this behavior happens on both the old emails that Outlook 2003 imported from the previous version as well as new emails that it receives now.

I am running Outlook 2003 with SP2 and all the latest Microsoft updates (I did an update tonight).

Any ideas?

I have searched the Internet and as many forums as I can find with no results.
    I have searched Microsoft's sites with no help.

Thanks

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi charley000

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

That's interesting, never noticed that before.
    In the Inbox, it does the same thing on my system.
    In the Sent Items folder, it shows correctly.

Did you also use the Created field with Outlook 2000?
    If so, did it work as you expected?

3. charley000

Yes, it worked on Outlook 2000. I just installed Outlook 2003 yesterday and the dates are wrong! I noticed it because I sort on Received date, not on send (created) date (i.e., the date in the original email).

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this? I don't know of any magic file or registry settings that tell Outlook how to interpret the fields in the email. (I wonder if there are any or whether Outlook 2003 just has a bad bug.) I get 2 free Microsoft technical support calls but I wasn't sure I wanted to waste it on this.

Help would be appriciated.

Charley

Anybody know of any other forums where I can ask about this?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

If no one comes along with an explanation, you might try the microsoft newsgroups for Outlook. The server is: news.microsoft.com

5. Rockn

Rockn

Created and recieved do not mean the same thing. Look at the email header for the real information. THe recieved date and time is the time it hits your mail server, the created date is the date and time Outlook renders the email in your inbox. An email can sit on the server for days if it is a POP server before you pull it to your email client. The recieved dat is the date you should go by and ignore the created date altogether.

6. charley000

Outlook has 4 times for each email and they are not what I thought.
    Sent - The time the messages is created and sent by the author
    Received - The time the message arrives at the Exchange server or the POP server
    Created - The time when Outlook downloads the message and CREATEs the message in it message store (i.e., the PST)
    Modified - Funny stuff if you modify a message

Terribles names.
    I would have used Sent, Server and Received but I am not Microsoft.

I know what happened. In Outlook 2000 they did have all those times but I never saw Created and I didn't realize that Received wasn't when I got it (but I downloaded so often that it wasn't that far off.) In Outlook 2000 I also only displayed the Received time in my list of messages.

I upgraded to 2003 and went to the new Reading Pane on the right. On the left they only show a few things and since I sorted Outlook 2000 by Received time, that's what it showed me. It also showed me the Created time. I assumed that the Created time was Outlooks new name for Sent time and that Received was when I got it. Now everything seemed backwards -- Created time was always later than Received time when I expected to be earlier. No matter what I did, I couldn't fix it and I could find documentation on it or any explanation.

Once you realize that outlook calls sent time Sent and downloaded time Created, it all makes sense (but those are terrible names.) I still haven't figured out how to customize the few lines it has room to show you when you use the reading pane on the right.

Charley

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice