Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlook 2003; Default Email account

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mh505 
#1 ·
I've seen some posts with similar issues here; however none of them seem to address my problem exactly.

Here is what happens.

When I change my default EM account under 'Tools, E-mail accounts' it accepts the changes. However, in reality it keeps the old default and always reverts back. The only way to set a new default EM account is to delete the old one.

However, as soon as I add the deleted account once again; immediately Outlook reverts back once again.
Anything to be done? Or do I have to delete the profile and start from scratch?

Thanks for your help !

#2 ·
Are saying that when you make this change and then you started a NEW email it does NOT use the newly set default as the source of the email?

But, if you are replying to a received email (not a new email) then it will ALWAYS use the the account that the email was sent to.

Also are these email accounts pop3 types or are they internet types?

#3 ·
thanks much for the prompt response !

Yes, you are quite right; after I changed the default and then start a new mail, it uses the old default. Only after I delete the old default account, will it use the new one

And yes, there is no problem in replying. That works as it should.

But what I'm saying is that if I want to use the email account that used to be the default (i.e. add it again after deletion), immediately Outlook uses that as default without any change on my part

Sorry, forgot to add that my accounts are all POP3

#4 ·
It has been a long time since I have seen Outlook 2003, but if you do NOT close the "Accounts" window properly, then the changes are not made.

After you make these changes, what shows as the default?
See the attached image for the area to look.

Attachments

#6 ·
It's true, DaveA; I probably should have changed to 2007 by now but I still like the handling of 2003 better ...

No, I don't use Exchange server; I use the MSO 2003 suite under Windows 7 ultimate.

I uploaded some pics for you. The first shows that the account I designated as the new default shows as 'EUF MH'; as it should be. But then, as shown in the 2nd pic, when the box opens for a new message, you can see that the default is still 'eSoLU MH' which was the old default.

I guess I am encountering some of the usual here; namely MS idiosyncracies ::))

Attachments

#7 ·
Hi,

I am sorry I don't have more specifics at hand right now, but two thing you might explore are these:

Outlook has some launching switches you could use to diagnose the issue. Switches as /safe, /clean, etc. You could google those and see what happens.

Also, it could be a permissions issue in the registry preventing your account from registering the new account as default. To test that you could start Outlook "as an administrator".
Eventually you might need to change the permissions on the registry key where the setting is store, I remember a similar issue where I had to delete a key named something along the lines of "Potected Storage System Provider" so the values would get stored.

I know this is very incomplete, but maybe it points you in some useful direction...
HTH

HQ.

#8 ·
Well it looks like we are stumped all 3 by this one :) but let me assure you that I do appreciate your efforts !

I have now deleted the existing profile and started from scratch - and you know what? The problem persists.

You are obviously right - there is something in the registry and/or some MSO config file that pervents Outlook from recognizing the new default. If push comes to shove I guess I will have to reinstall Outlook or even MSO !

#9 ·
I have found the reason - but not the solution - as to why Outlook always reverts to the OLD default email account, even though it is deleted under 'Tools, E-mail Accounts'. The fact is that this account is never fully deled but stays somewhere within the system. Proof: When a mail is sent via the NEW default account, and one looks in the Sent folder under the column 'Email Account' the message is shown as being sent by the OLD default account, which "officially" should no longer be there at all.

The question is: under which registry item could this thing be managed? Deleting the profile does not do the trick; neither does deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.