Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlook 2003 duplicate email from mailbox

6K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  slurpee55 
#1 ·
I have Microsoft Outlook 2003 on a few computers. It appears that they get their emails from a local server which is defined as the MS Exchange Server. (Box ticked for Use Cached Exchange Mode). Outlook is then configure with my username to pull my emails of the server (i guess...). I get an email to my company email from an external source (not company email) that is CC to another company email address, and I will get a duplicate email in my inbox. If it is CC to 2 people I will get 2 duplicates (3 messages in total) This leads me to believe that outlook is not configured to pull the right emails from the server right? However, when receiving an email from an internal source (company email) and it is CC to another compnay member, I only get 1 copy. When dealing with 1 to 1 emails, everything works fine. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Cached Exchange Mode stores a copy of your mailbox on your computer by automatically creating and using an offline folder file (a .ost file) into which it downloads and maintains a synchronized copy of the items in all the folders of your mailbox. It is supposed to synchronize the accounts - usually it is set to do so every few minutes. It is possible that it is not deleting after synchronizing; however, to really know why you are getting other's email I am not sure - are you the default to deliver to if the other accounts are unavailable?

#4 ·
I think that is what it means, yes - it will sit on the server until you connect. But that is how many, many people get their email, so it hopefully won't be much of a nuisance. (Of course, you could just stay online and logged in all the time, but no vacations for you!)
;)

#7 ·
Aside from this line buried at the end of the article, "This behavior can be resolved if the POP3 mail host's operator (typically an Internet Service Provider (ISP)) configures the POP3 mail host to deliver only a single message to the global mail account mailbox, which is used by the POP3 Connector, instead of creating multiple instances of messages which contain a Cc or a Bcc (or both) address line" that article isn't a lot of help, is it?
But that does sound like your problem. And as far as I know, there is no way for Outlook to compare two messages and see that they are identical - if they are for different email addresses, they are different, and that is that. If you happen to be the recipient of both, well, you are stuck.
Checking with your ISP would be the next step, I'd say.
Good luck, and if you get it fixed, please come back and report how and then mark this thread as Solved. :)

#8 ·
I am trying to get through to ISP right now, but there is one thing that doesn't quite fit between my problem and the one they posted. If ther are 2 people CC'd (3 recipients), according to article I should only get 2 copies but I actually get 3? Will see what ISP has to say....

#18 ·
Try recreating the profile within Outlook on the client side. If that does not work try copying the old mailbox into a new one on the server. If all else fails then try recreating the account on the Exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.