1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 - "Mark As Read" Rule - Tray Enevlope Still Appears

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by EphesiansSix, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EphesiansSix

EphesiansSix Thread Starter

Hi All,

I'm using Outlook 2003 on Widows XP. One of my rules includes "Mark As Read" after moving the email to a folder. It does get marked as read, but the tray notification (envelope) still appears. This defeats the purpose for me, and actually makes it harder (I use multiple folders, so I hunt through each to find the new message). What am I missing, or is this a glitch? I just want it to be marked as read, and NOT show the tray icon.

Thanks in advance!

2. jimr381

jimr381

Welcome to the forum.

What about using the Unread Mail search folder? Outlook is notorious for having the system tray icon act whacky.

3. EphesiansSix

Wow, what a quick reply! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I avoid using the Unread Mail search folder because that's how I track which email still need follow-up (by leaving or re-marking them unread). Using that folder, once I read it, it disappears into its sorted folder as read. I suppose I should really be using flags, eh?

And please forgive my ignorance, but are you suggesting that I disable the tray notification, and just periodically look at the Unread Mail folder to see if there are new ones? I still like the tray to let me know when I have new (actual) mail...

Thanks!

4. jimr381

jimr381

I am not specifying that you disable it, but I am saying that sometimes it is unreliable. When reading the beginning of your response I was definitely going to suggest flags, but you already have it. One click on the flag icon is much easier then going through the different ways of marking them unread. ;)

I am quick at everything I do just ask the wife. Oh wait I mean I try to dive into the problem quickly....... I will never be able to answer this question without it sounding dirty.

5. EphesiansSix

Thanks again. I'll give flags a try.

We'll see if someone has a workaround for the tray though; I'm using the same POP Gmail account on two computers, and use the recent:[email protected] method to get it on both computers. So it downloads the sent mail, which is fine, but I don't need to be notified when it does so. (That's what I marking as "read.") I tried IMAP, but got annoyed with the delays when trying to open messages.

Thanks!

6. GLComputing

GLComputing

The tray icon remains on until you open any email

7. GLComputing

GLComputing

Actually, not sure about 2003, but in Outlook 2007, in the Rules Wizard - "What do you want to do with the message" dialog, you can turn off "display Desktop Alert" which might do it for you?

8. jimr381

jimr381

The Desktop Alert is the pop-up you see that fades out. The OP is talking about the icon in your system tray which is near the time.

9. GLComputing

GLComputing

I thought they might be linked somehow... I can't get either to popup when I use Exchange server rules, only for local Outlook rules

10. Darth Papercut

Darth Papercut

Try this... Break the steps into two separate rules.
    Rule 1. Mark as read
    Rule 2. Move to folder

Let me know if it works for you.
    Mike

11. Steve Wollkind

Steve Wollkind

http://www.techhit.com/autoread/dl.html is a $10 plugin for outlook that creates a custom action for removing the envelope from the system tray. As far as I can tell, it's the only way to get the mark as read rule to actually remove the envelope.

Hope this helps
    Steve

12. mickdo69

mickdo69

Try this... Break the steps into two separate rules.
    Rule 1. Mark as read
    Rule 2. Move to folder

Let me know if it works for you.
    Mike

Worked for me! Thanks Mike (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/695618