1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 new data file doesn't have default folders

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by SomePerson, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SomePerson

SomePerson Thread Starter

Hello. I am using Windows XP. I just tried to create a new outlook data file (Outlook 2003) and it was successful except for the fact that instead of the usual set of default folders it only has 2 folders in it, the "Deleted Items" and "Search Folders". Nothing else.

In the past when I have created a new pst file it has always had the usual default folders in it:
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Deleted Items
    Drafts
    Inbox
    Journal
    Junk Email
    Notes
    Outbox
    Sent Items
    Tasks
    Search Folders

I have done a "Detect and Repair" on Outlook 2003 which it completed successfully, but with no changes to this problem. Googling the issue has yielded no results either, so since I have frequently found answers to my problems on this forum I am trying you guys to see if anyone might be able to help me learn what the trouble is here.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi SomePerson

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

That is normal, when the Personal Folders (.pst file) becomes the Default Delivery Location, it will then take on the Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items etc., folders.

Are you planning on using the new Personal Folders for storage?

3. SomePerson

SomePerson Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply! Wow. Wonder what I did differently last time? I have several pst folders but all the other ones have all the default folders, and I thought I just did it the same way this time... but it's been a few years since I made one so who knows... heh.

Yes, I am just using it for storage. I had wanted to make another archive file but couldn't figure out how to do that. Is there a way? And is there any advantage to that, as in smaller file size or whatever? I will be using this file frequently so that will come into play too. I have several "rules" that direct email to various places from the main Inbox and this will be one of those places. So from there I will be reading and replying to the emails. What would be the best way to handle this?

Thanks again for your reply, and thanks in advance for your further help.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Maybe you Imported your old Personal Folders into the new Personal Folders? Which would give you a replica of the original Personal Folders.

You can set up individual folders to AutoArchive, or you can set up AutoArchive through:
    Tools > Options > Other tab > AutoArchive button

The "Best" way is the way that works for you.
    I create a new Personal Folders each year and start fresh.
    I rename the Personal Folders to reflect the year.

For me, if messages other than Junk mail were being moved out the Inbox, I would not think of them until days later. :eek:
    I move or delete messages from the Inbox when I am finished with them.
    But I do use Color to help organize my messages, I know at a glance if I have received messages from Tech Support Guy or Netflix :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice