1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 not connecting to RR email servers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jman9, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jman9

Jman9 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    I have had an interesting problem with Outlook 2003 on one of my computers (Dimension 8300, 2 GB RAM, WinXPPRo). It will send and receive email for a while after restarting, but eventually it stops sending/receiving. It seems to happen after the system has gone to standby (not hibernate) and returned, but I am not certain of that. I am running Norton Internet Security 2006, have tried disabling it with no impact. I uninstalled it and ran a trial version of BitDefender for a while, and it still misbehaved occasionally, but somewhat less often.
    Needless to say, when you try something and you have to restart the computer, you can't tell if the fix improved things, since it almost always works after a restart.
    I have tested this on several computers. One machine that is running ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite is working fine, but that machine seemed to have no problems when it had Norton installed either. My notebook seems to work fne with Outlook 2003, NIS 2006, etc. but I don't use it very often.
    I am using Road Runner as the ISP. I have one XP user account that is getting email from America Online, and that is having no problems even when Road Runner doesn't respond.

I used Test Account Settings to generate traffic and see if it connected. I get two red check marks and the error box that says "0x80042108 Outlook is unable to connect to your (POP/SMTP) server. Verify the account settings... you may need to enable secure connections ... " The server timeout is 2 minutes, and it fails long before that (almost instantly).
    I tried running TCPSpy to see if I could see what was going on. When it could connect, I got reasonable server responses. When it was not connecting, an attempt to open a port with Test Account Settings logged an almost immediate "port closed" response with zero bytes sent/received.

I saw another post where the user found an old virus infection. This system apparently had a virus in an email several years ago, so maybe I will check into that. The virus only showed up with BitDefender, not Norton, and it was in an old archive file.

Symantec tech support has been almost useless. All they tell you to do is upgrade to NIS 2007 (also useless parental controls... I tried it) or use the Norton Removal Tool, which wipes out GoBack as well. I did uninstall just NIS to put in BitDefender, and then reinstalled NIS 2006 at the end of that trial period.

RR tech support has been useless also. I have the right account settings and they say nothing about not supporting Outlook 2003. In fact, they have instructions on how to set up Outlook to work with RR. They don't require outgoing authentication or SSL enabled.

Sorry for the info overload... I have tried a lot of stuff and would like to get anyone's thoughts on more things to try.

Peace, Jman9

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice