1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003: Not sending emails

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Zack Barresse, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse Thread Starter

Hello,

This is a confusing question to me. I'm asking for a friend of mine who I have been giving phone support to and walking them through setting up their email accounts in Outlook 2003. It was working for a while and they changed something (I do not know where) and now it is not sending emails. Apparently he is receiving them just fine.

What happens when he sends an email is it shows it going out of his Outbox and goes to his Sent Box. A few seconds later an email is dispatched to his Inbox from System Administrator, Undeliverable: Website. This is the error message in the body, 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1), along with the date, time and intended recipient's name.

I am not very good with Outlook and was hoping for some insight on what might be causing this. My friend lives a couple hours away but is willing to drop off their laptop for me to look at. (Somehow, being the "Excel" guy means I'm the "computer" guy. Yeesh.) Thanks for any help anyone can give. :)

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

3. Zack Barresse

This is a home account. That second link is quite interesting though. The code number was 5.7.1 and this is the information about it...

I'm not sure what the implications are of this though, or even what it means in regards to troubleshooting. The odd part is, he can log on and send mail through these accounts via the web-based account, I can log on to the account and send mail, but he can't send from this account on his pc with Outlook. This is why I think it's an Outlook issue. I'm not sure where else to look or troubleshoot.

4. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

5. Zack Barresse

It isn't setup as an exchange server. There are two email accounts and they are setup as POP3/SMTP accounts. Thanks for the link. I will check the SMTP outgoing server port and get back to you. :)

6. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

are the servers just set to POP3 and SMTP or the full names, eg mine are

pop.broadband.rogers.com
    smtp.broadband.rogers.com

I have outlook on my other computer but I can't check the settings because my wifee is hogging:mad: the "Good" computer

7. gurutech

gurutech

Check to see that SMTP authentication is enabled. Most ISP's require this now, to prevent spamming... (or at least reduce it...)

8. Zack Barresse

Ziggy: The server names are setup like that, yes, although they are identical and not named differently.

Gurutech: I'll look for that. Thanks!

9. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

10. Zack Barresse

Got it! Changed the SMTP to require authentication and changed the server port to 80 and it seemed to fix the problem. Emails are now being received! Thank you very much Ziggy and gurutech for your help. My friend and I greatly appreciate it!

Hope you have a great holiday season!

11. thumb10.40

thumb10.40

If your problem is solved you can mark it as solved with the thread tools near the top of this page. This helps everyone else know that it is not necessary to give more help (assuming you don't need more help : ).

12. Zack Barresse

LOL! Yes, thank you very much. I laugh because that feature originated on my board (VBAX).

Anyway, apparently the issue is only half solved. My friend is receiving emails just fine now, but is still not able to send. I'll keep looking into this. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Sorry for such a hassle and thank you very much for the continued support. :)

13. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

But that is what you also said in the first post isn't it? Anyways how about a firewall, is he running one? He may have blocked the outgoing depending on how the firewall works (auto or manual)

14. thumb10.40

thumb10.40

I am just guessing but do you have the outgoing mail address put in correctly? (see attachment)

Another thing you might want to try, and I don't know if you have done this already is to see if the email service that your friend is using has instructions on how to set up an account in OE. The setup is relatively technical so that is what I needed to set up my gmail account.

By the way, you said you have a board (VBAX) what is that?

Attached Files:

15. Zack Barresse

@Ziggy: No firewall, I did manage to check that. Are there any specific ports I could try to test with besides the default port?

@thumb10.40: I'm pretty sure the outgoing mail server is correct. I use the same mail server on my laptop and everything appears to be the same - and my machine works. I'm leaning towards this being possibly a windows/security issue, but alas I'm just not sure.

VBAX is my forum which I co-own with DRJ (www.vbaexpress.com) and was started by Anne Troy (aka Dreamboat).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice