1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 not sending mail

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Media Man, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

My Outlook 2003 won't send mail now and it tells me it cannot communicate with my outgoing mail server. I checked my settings and they look fine as far as I can tell. I don't know what port numbers I should have, but I don't want to change them without some guidance if necessary. I did send an email using an unencrypted wireless network successfully the morning before it happened. When I got home, it was not working properly. Maybe this is a coincidence. I tried searching other posts , but did not find one with this error messages. If I missed it, sorry.

Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

2. electricsmile

electricsmile

Who is your email account with? This generally happens if you don't have the correct settings. You can contact your email provider to check the settings.

3. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I will try that suggestion, thank you. What would cause my settings to change?

4. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I am not having luck. I tried making a new account using the same info. When I run a test with the new account, it says it works fine. When I ran a test with the old account, it gave me error messages. I set the new account as the default, but when I send/receive it sends fine but I still get the same sending error messages. Is there something I need to do to use the new acount other than making it the default? Am I going down the wrong road with this?

5. electricsmile

electricsmile

I've had similar issues with outlook in the past, and I always go back to resetting up the accounts and checking that the ports are correct. I'm not certain that some email providers or web hosting companies don't intermittently make changes to their systems. It could also be caused by the email provider or web hosting company having a server down. I know how frustrating it can be. I have about 20 email accounts that I check in outlook.

I have noticed that outlook will occasionally reset your port numbers, even after you have just put in new ones. Just keep checking to make sure all the settings are correct.

6. Media Man

Media Man Thread Starter

I assume my setting are correct. They are port 100 for my POP3, and port 25 for my SMTP.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice