1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003: Outlook Today unable to display the folder.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Soliel, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soliel

Soliel Thread Starter

I'm using Outlook 2003 SP2 in a standalone configuration with Win XP Professional SP2.

When I click on the Inbox item on the Outlook Today screen (not referring here to the file list at the left of the screen) I get the following message:

"Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location."

I backed up my .pst (and archive) files, uninstalled Outlook, re-started Windows, and re-installed Outlook. The problem persisted.

I can click on Inbox in the file list on the left of the Outlook screen - works fine. The problem is more of an annoyance than a major problem, but I'm uneasy that something's not working proprerly - Outlook's too important to me for odd, unexplained things to be happening!

2. exegete

exegete

Howdy. How big is the pst file?

3. Soliel

Soliel Thread Starter

The pst file is 333,332kb

4. k2rj

k2rj

I began having the same problem about a week ago. It even happens to me when connected to my Exchange server. I'm wondering if it was broken by some "update"??

5. Soliel

Soliel Thread Starter

I (think/hope) I've solved the problem, but I tried many different things and I'm not precisely sure which contributed to the success.

WARNING: BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL OUTLOOK.PST FILE.

I ran detect and repair from the Outlook Help menu. I ticked the "Restore my shortcuts ... " box and left the left the "Discard my customised settings and restore default settings" unchecked. This didn't fix the problem.

On advice from others I ran at various times
    - Outlook /resetfolders
    - scanpst.exe
    - Outlook /resetnavpane
    - Outlook /safe (to open in safe mode with no add-ins)

None of those appeared to solve the problem.

But then I ran detect and repair from the Outlook Help menu again, this time I left the "Restore my shortcuts ... " box un ticked and ticked the "Discard my customised settings and restore default settings".

This appears to have fixed the problem. A new .pst file (outlook1.pst) was created, and I imported into it the data from the original outlook.pst file. I also had to manually re-enter my email accounts. Several customised Views and menu items I had created were lost, so I've had to set them up again.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has this problem and tries this fix.

6. nimd4

nimd4

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice