1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 Rule Disabling Itself

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cwwozniak, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A coworker is running Outlook 2003 on a desktop running Windows XP Pro. As far as I can tell, both are up to date with updates and service packs.

He has Outlook accessing two POP3 accounts hosted on Google Mail. I added a second PST file with an Inbox folder. I then created a rule that would move all incoming mail from one of the accounts to this new Inbox folder and stop processing any more rules. There weren't any other rules.

This worked fine for months. He let me know yesterday that all of his new incoming messages were going into the primary Inbox folder, including the ones for the second account. I opened the Rules list and found that the one rule was unchecked. I went through it to make sure it still had valid setting and did not see any issues. I manually ran the rule on the primary inbox and all of the incoming messages for the second account were moved as expected. I checked the box to reactivate the rule, clicked the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button. I closed and re-opened the rules list and it was still checked. I sent a test message from another computer and his computer moved it to the correct folder. Later in the day, he reported the same problem. I opened the rules list and it was unchecked again.

What could be causing Outlook to turn off the rule after it has been running and working correctly for short while and how do I fix it?

EDIT: The user just reported a pop-up error message (see attached screen capture) that may explain why the rule is turning off. The Outlook3.pst file is the one with the new inbox. The new inbox folder and its contents can be opened within Outlook without any problems. Could Outlook be reporting non-existent CRC errors or should I be running a scan and repair on the HDD?

Attached Files:

2. draceplace

draceplace

PST file possible setting on a bad spot on the hard drive? chkdsk C: /f

and/or move the pst file and see if starts working
    If corrupt data in folder I think its scanpst.exe?? to check that.
    bad sector would explain CRC and maybe when the rule fails it turns itself off.
    I've seen cleaning up folders and deleted items fix simular as well.
    Good luck.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I ran chkdsk last week and no problems were found. I plan on coming in a bit early tomorrow morning and running scanpst.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice