1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 Scheduled Email not sending when computer is off

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cvivinetto, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cvivinetto

cvivinetto Thread Starter

Before I went on vacation I scheduled 6 emails, one every day for six days, to be sent out at 9:15 each morning._ They were all sitting in my outbox before I left for vacation and I did not go back into them or change them once I sent them._ One I turned on my computer this morning they were all still in my outbox and were sent out immediately._ Could you let us know why this happened and what we should do in the future to prevent this from happening.

HELP ME!!!!

Chris

2. bobbecker44

bobbecker44

I don't think you should expect your computer to do anything while it is shut off.

To send mail from your account while your PC is off you would need to upload them to the server and somehow delay sending them at the server level. I don't know of any feature that does that.

3. cvivinetto

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY FEATURE THAT UPLOADS THE MAIL TO THE MAIL SERVER TO BE SENT OUT AT A SPECIFIC TIME? THANKS!!!!

CHRIS

4. wedor

wedor

bobbecker44 is correct, there is no program that is going to turn on your system and send mail, had you left your system running it would have worked.

And using all caps is considered shouting.

5. cvivinetto

sorry i am new to this. thanks for your help

6. bobbecker44

bobbecker44

No apology needed for being new.

I noticed your message doesn't indicate whether you sent these messages from home or from work.

Individual e-mail accounts, where you connect to the mail through an Internet Service Provider (ISP) use POP3 mail servers for your incoming mail and SMTP (Simplefied Mail Transfer Protocol) servers for your outgoing mail. What I said earlier, that I don't know of any way to schedule mail transmissions, applies to SMTP mail servers. The "Simplefied" part of SMTP means that there are no options: all mail goes out when you send it to the server.

In corporate systems, mail usually goes through an Exchange server. Maybe there would be a net-nerd....ops I mean IT Professioal, who might contribute to this thread and provide some details about Exchange features.

7. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

Generally, in an Exchange environment, the mailbox is on the Server so the mail would flow in/out even if the PC is off.

CVIVINETTO needs to be more specific about the system configuration (as it pertains to mail setup) before the question can be satisfactorily answered.

8. betting babe

betting babe

If you happen to be using a recent version of Outlook, and you can leave your computer on, you can select "options" from your email message and check the box "do not deliver before (date)" and set the send/receive options to send/receive every (x minutes) while you are away. It would achieve your goal anyway.

~BB

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    BB is correct.
    Frankly, if I wanted mail sent, I'd go ahead and leave Outlook open and my PC on while I was away. The worst that can happen is a thunderstorm knocks it out. If you've got a great surge protector (make sure it truly is GREAT, no $6 jobbies!), then you should have no problems. I am still trying to tell my family members that PCs use virtually no electricity (compared to other things...).

When Outlook is installed for use with an exchange server (usually this is the case in a work environment, certainly in a corporate work env), we call Outlook on your machine "the client side", and we call Exchange Server (just a pc with some fancy software on it) "the server side".

Outlook has the ability for a user to use "server side rules" (while the pc is turned off) and "client side rules" (pc must be on.

For a long time, people asked why the could not use the "OUt of Office assistant" at home. 1. They were not on an exchange server and 2. It required an exchange server because it is a server-side feature (very much like a rule). Not only that, many companies would not allow users to create server-side rules for fear they would auto-forward confidential and sensitive information to their yahoo mail...etc.

Other issues like "I want to retract that email...I decided I didn't want to send it" and "recover deleted items" are features of exchange server only (and still so in Outlook 2003 to my knowledge), and people are sorely disappointed when they find out. If you think about it, it makes sense. The only way to *stop* a sent email is within an exchange server--so you can't stop an email to someone at yahoo mail. Most companies allow a certain amount of storage on the exchange server for each client (user). While you may have emptied your deleted items folder, exchange server probably has a backup copy of some sort to which it can refer to restore your deleted items.

Anyway, I hope this sheds a bit of light. I am currently editing a book called Steve Link on Outlook, due out probably around November. I am being very careful to ensure that the reader understands the diff between install at home/work POP/exchange server features.

Phew. Probably a novella that should have been a memo. :D

10. cvivinetto

Hi,

This problem that I am having is at work and we do have an exchange server. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to allow this mail to be sent while my pc is off. Im sorry if I am asking a lot I just want to know how to do it. I do not care about possible fowarding of sensitive information to yahoo or whatever else it may send it. Thank you so much!!!!

Chris

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  12. cvivinetto

Dreamboat said: "Outlook has the ability for a user to use "server side rules" (while the pc is turned off) and "client side rules" (pc must be on)."

How would I change the settings on the server to allow for a user to have server side rules?

Chris

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You don't
    Your email administrator does
    If you're the admin, I'm sorry I can't help--I don't know exchange server.

14. cvivinetto

Does anyone know the solution to my problem? Thanks

Chris

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice