1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 - Sort by Email Account

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by carlyman, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlyman

carlyman Thread Starter

I have multiple email accounts download into my Inbox folder; each email account has its own unique name under Account Settings. When I try to "Sort by Email Account," the groupings are correct (i.e. each group represents one account); however, the grouping title is incorrect...it says the same name for all of them.

Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks,
    JC

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi carlyman

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

This sounds interesting. :)

Are the e-mail accounts subaccounts of one ISP or each a different domain as in:
    1) a Gmail account
    2) your own ISP account
    3) and maybe another free account like my.inbox.com ?

You mention each account has its own unique name under Account Settings. Does this mean the accounts do not have their own unique name listed under the E-mail Account Header column?

3. carlyman

carlyman Thread Starter

Hi EAFiedler,

Specifically, I have one Microsoft Exchange account and two POP3 accounts...all different domains. I have Outlook setup to automatically download the two POP3 accounts directly into my Exchange Inbox folder.

If by "header column" you mean "Grouping Header" (e.g. if sorted by date, one grouping header is "Today" and another is "Last Week")...this is where the problem is. The grouping header name is one of my account names, just not always the correct name...but the weird thing is, the groupings are accurate.

Let me see if I can give a simplified example; each group below correctly groups the emails, however the group headers are not always accurate.

Group1: @abc.com
    --- Email: @abc.com
    --- Email: @abc.com

Group2: @abc.com
    --- Email: @123.com
    --- Email: @123.com

Does this better explain my problem?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Yes, I understand the grouping result, thank you.

I don't have an Exchange server to work with, that may be causing the behavior.
    Is this occurring on a business/work machine?

If so, do you have a computer at home where you can download the two POP accounts (outside of an Exchange environment) to see if the behavior persists there, as well?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709895