1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 Stopped Resizing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by luv2tup, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luv2tup

luv2tup Thread Starter

For what appears to be no apparent reason, Outlook 2003 will no longer resize. It will appear as full screen or minimize to the try, nothing in between. Every time I click the resize button, the program minimizes to the taskbar. Clicking on the taskbar icon will not restore it. When I right click on the tray icon and select maximize, Outlook maximizes. If anyone knows of a solution, it would be appreciated.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It may have been moved off the screen, either left, right, or bottom. But, it should automatically put it's self back on screen when restarted, at least my outlook 2003 does.
    Some things to try:
    1. Close Outlook
    Make sure you haven't accidently enabled a dual display. Right click the desktop and choose properties. Click the settings tab. If your system is capable of using 2 displays, you'll see 2 icons labeled 1 and 2 in a box titled "Drag the monitor icons to match the physical arrangement of your monitors". (if you don't see this, skip to #2). Click the #2 and make sure Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor is unchecked. Click OK
    start Outlook and test

If your taskbar is set to autohide, turn that off -- right click taskbar, click properties, uncheck AutoHide, click ok
    Unlock taskbar if it is locked -- right click taskbar, click Lock the Taskbar if it is checked
    Maximize the Outlook window
    Drag the top edge of the taskbar up to make it taller, this should force Outlook to redefine it's window.
    Click the restore down(resize) button. Outlook should hopefully be on screen now

reset your taskbar as you like.

If the above doesn't work, the registry key that stores the window position may be corrupt. Deleting it should fix the problem.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.

With that said, here's how to delete the key
    Close Outlook
    Click start | run
    Enter regedit in the box and click ok/press enter
    navigate to
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Office Explorer
    NB: If you have a version different than 2003, the 11.0 will be different, e.g. OL2000 will be 9.0
    First let's save the key before we delete it, so we can put if back if needed:
    Right click on the Office Explorer folder in the left pane and choose export, name it OLFrame and save it on your desktop
    once the folder has been saved, in the right pane should be 2 values, Frame and Namespaces. Left click on frame to highlight it then press delete. Click Yes on the Confirm Value Delete dialog
    close the registry editor

Restart Outlook and test. Once everything is working right, you can delete the OLFrame.reg file we saved on the desktop.

HTH

Jerry

3. luv2tup

luv2tup Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I followed your instructions to edit the Outlook (Office 11) registry file but it did not fix the problem. As it happens, there's also a registry entry for Office 10. since Outlook 2003 was an upgrade from Office XP, I used your instructions to delete the registry entry from the Office 10 file and this fixed the problem.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're welcome, glad I could help. You can mark this thread solved using the thread tools at the top of the thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice