Outlook 2003 - transfer and merge .pst files between 2 computers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

baobabbeach

Hi
I want to merge a .pst file from laptop1 into a .pst file on laptop2. If merging is not possible I am happy to copy the .pst file from laptop1 and use it on laptop2. I have had a couple of attempts without sucess. Both laptops have same version (outlook 2003) and no passwords have been set and files are not "read only". I have searched in case similar problems have been resolved previously. No luck. I tried exporting on laptop1 and importing into laptop2. Also tried copying across. Errors I get are "The file .....\backup.pst is not a personal folders file" and "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file ....\backup.pst". There must be a simple way to transfer between two computers but I am unable to find the solution - please help - thx

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi baobabbeach

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Copying the .pst file to the laptop would be easiest, then open the .pst file with Outlook.
File > Open > Outlook Data File
Browse to the location of the .pst file and select it.
It should then appear in Outlook.

From there you can drag the folders into the first Personal Folders (.pst file.)

Is this where you are being blocked?

baobabbeach

Tried copying pst file to second laptop and doing as instructed. Message = "The file....\filename.pst is not a personal folders file". Tried using menu option FILE - DATA FILE MANAGEMENT and then ADD - same error message. Any further suggestions. Thx. ps - also renamed existing outlook.pst file on receiving laptop and then copied. Same error message

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
What are you doing when you first receive the message: filename.pst is not a personal folders file?

Are you pasting the file to the receiving hard drive at that time?
If so, are you pasting the .pst file to a specific directory?
It is a .pst file? You haven't changed the extension?

Something doesn't sound right. :confused:

Can you copy a Word.doc file to the receiving computer? An Excel.xls file?

Both computers do have Outlook 2003 installed?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909637

baobabbeach

Hi - in response (your questions in RED):
What are you doing when you first receive the message: filename.pst is not a personal folders file?
Pls refer to my previous msg.
Are you pasting the file to the receiving hard drive at that time?
File already copied to receiving computer hard drive. File NOT "read only" or password protected
If so, are you pasting the .pst file to a specific directory?
Msg comes up irrespective of receiving directory. Msg only comes up when trying to open the file in Outlook or use it via one of the Outlook menu options, e.g. FILE - DATA FILE MANAGEMENT and then ADD
It is a .pst file? You haven't changed the extension?
Have not changed anything
Something doesn't sound right. :confused:
I agree totally - feel a bit silly 'cause it must be something simple I am missing (excluding brain cells) JJJ
Can you copy a Word.doc file to the receiving computer? An Excel.xls file?
I have copied all my data to the receiving laptop as my old laptop is on it's way to meet it's maker. Everything is working. I have used many of the copied doc/xls, etc files. The last step is to get the pst file across.
Both computers do have Outlook 2003 installed?
Yes they do. The machines are effectively duplicates (operating system, software, data (excl pst). If I copy a single inbox email to the receiving laptop inbox there is no problem.
IN GENERAL - I have tried exporting and importing also copying more than once but to no avail. If you cannot think of anything else to try, I really appreciate the effort and time you have taken to respond. Thanks

baobabbeach

Hi - ran scanpst.exe on outlook.pst on old laptop. Errors were found which were then corrected by the repair tool. I then exported the pst file but once again could not import on the receiving computer. Msg still states that "file is not a pst file". The only way around this seems to be the long way. I will create all Personal Folder sub-folders manually on the receiving laptop and then copy the messages across individually. Groan!! I will make a plan with my ToDo list. Do not need contacts as they are on my cell. Thanks for your time and effort. I really appreciate it.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Try dragging the folders themselves into the new .pst file.

Which format are you using?
Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)
or
Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders (.pst)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online