1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003: Unable to open one or more attachments

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by techgirl05, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techgirl05

techgirl05 Thread Starter

We have several end users who have reported the following problem:

While working in Excel, the user(s) will wish to send a file via email. They select File --> Send To --> Mail Recipient (as attachment) and get an error stating that Outlook was unable to open one or more attachments.

If the user saves the file locally (to their desktop or My Documents for example) and then creates a new email in Outlook, they are able to attach the file to the email (by choosing to insert attachment/clicking the paperclip) and send it in that way.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a reason? Is there a way to fix it? Our users much prefer the shortcut of sending excel worksheets as attachments from within the program.

All the PCs are running Windows XP Professional and Office 2003.

2. Chris_E

Chris_E

A couple of obvious questions come to mind....

- Is this just one XLS file that behaves this way, or any XLS file?
    - Is it ONLY XLS files or does the same happen for DOC, PDF etc files?
    - Are the XLS files in question local to the sender's PC or are they on a server (opened remotely)
    - Is the XLS file a shared file? Could it be open by another user as well, when trying to send it?

3. techgirl05

techgirl05 Thread Starter

For each of the users, this is a monthly or weekly XLS file that they regularly email to the same person(s), so it while it is just one XLS file for each user, it is at least three different XLS files.

None of users have attempted to mail DOCs or PDFs in this manner. The departments that send these types of files are accounting, purchasing and sales and they primarily use Excel for such data.

The files are not local to the user(s) PCs. By default no files are saved locally.

Yes, the files are shared, however, I called two of the users in question and they stated they are the only ones who access and update and maintain the spreadsheet in question. (However, these are end users so I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Several in fact.)

4. Chris_E

Chris_E

I wonder therefore if they would experience the same prob with non-XLS files. May be worth a try?

Chris

5. jhardin80

jhardin80

I am having the same problems but ours is .DOC and .XLS files. I thought too that it might be because of the file being on the server so i had one user save the file to their DATA drive which is local and that still doesn't work. I have tried all different solutions but none seem to work. Like re-registering the sendmail.dll and making sure Outlook is the default program. But nothing. We have dell pc's with WinXP and office 2003 Pro.

6. jhardin80

jhardin80

Well one persons problem was sovled by going to Internet Explorer-tools-internet options-programs-and setting the e-mail to Microsoft Office Outlook instead of the outlook express that was there. But this other one just won't do it. It's funny because if i try to send an excel file as an attachment it says can not open one or more attachments but then the outlook window comes up and i send it, and when i get the email it has the attachment in it like it should.

7. jhardin80

jhardin80

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice