1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2003 won't execute

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ncsmitty, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ncsmitty

ncsmitty Thread Starter

If my computer shuts down unexpectedly (power failure, etc.) when it comes back up Outlook 2003 will not start. Anyone know if this is a known problem or how to fix it? I need to get at my calendar and saved mail.
    Computer is Dell Dimension XP Gen 4 and OS is Windows XP Pro. I can get screeshots of error messages if desired.

THank you.

2. saljuve

saljuve

Kindly post the error messages screen shots.

3. ncsmitty

ncsmitty Thread Starter

I've attached three screenshots. Hope you can help.

Attached Files:

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried uninstalling Outlook (or Office completely) and then reinstalling?

5. ncsmitty

ncsmitty Thread Starter

Also, I am asked if I want to start in Safe Mode and if I reply "yes" I go into a loop where it appears to be starting in safe mode but just keeps coming up with the same prompt: Do You Want to Start in Safe Mode?

6. ncsmitty

ncsmitty Thread Starter

I'll try the reinstall and report back. Thanks.

7. Krash

Krash

I am not quite sure if that would fix the problem.

How often do you experience a power failure?! If its a frequent problem then it is suggested that this be countered with an Uninterrupted Power Supply Unit. Frequent power failure issues could not only damage Outlook files but those of any application that has files open.

Coming to address the issue. What I understand is that the power failure has occurred more than once and hence the Outlook pst file is damaged. What I would recommend is to
    1. Create a new PST , set it as the default file and remove the Old Outlook file from the profile (this does not mean you will end up deleting the file) using the Control Panel applet called "Mail".

2. If the above step fails, Create a new profile and see if that helps.

8. ncsmitty

ncsmitty Thread Starter

I'll try creating the new PST.
    Power failures are very seldom -- I am using a UPS but in process of moving equipment and the UPS had gotten unplugged. Previous time was pre-UPS but same Outlook result occurred both times.

9. WAJ0606

WAJ0606

Have you tried recreating the profile as Krash mentioned? That would be my first step, then a repair installation. If the .pst is corrupt try running "scanpst.exe"

10. ncsmitty

ncsmitty Thread Starter

creating a new profile has things working again. Running the repair hasn't worked.

I could probably looked this up but could someone tell me how to move my old calendar and folders to the new profile? Thanks for your help thus far.

11. WAJ0606

WAJ0606

What kind of server are you connecting to? When you say old folders...do you mean PST's?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice