1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2007 Address Book Lists

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by burrish, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

Greetings! I have an employee who's telling me that a certain selectable list in his Address Book menu is populated while he's here in the office, but blank when he's away. He's telling me that his "Contacts" selection in the Address Book drop-down (shown in the attached pic) is blank when he isn't here. How can I keep that from happening? He's running W7 with Outlook 2007.

Thanks in Advance!

Attached Files:

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is his PST file stored on the server or set to work offline? You can also create an offline address book if the main PST file is on the server in the office.

3. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Rockn! I'm not sure if his PST is set to work, offline. Pardon my ignorance, but how would I go about doing that, and how would I create the offline address book?

4. Rockn

Rockn

First off is the the email running off of an Exchange Server or are users just downloading email from a POP or IMAP server? Are they even using a PST file, I am assuming they are.

5. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

I hope I'm getting this right, but I believe it's through an Exchange Server, though we go through Intermedia, as well.

6. Rockn

Rockn

When he is not in the office is he using the same computer that he is using in the office? I think there is something missing from this picture. You can have a contacts list separate from the Exchange global address list, but to use them out of the office you need to use cached Exchange mode.

7. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

He has only mentioned using the laptop he currently has with him in the office. I just found the method to enable cached exchange, so I'll adjust that on his machine. To test it, would I just close Outlook and restart it in offline mode?

8. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

Ok, he just told me that his cached Exchange mode is checked. What else can I check?

9. Rockn

Rockn

10. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

I'll check on the offline folders. If he were using a PST file on the network, would he ever get any sort of indication of it when he opened Outlook?

11. Rockn

Rockn

He should get some sort of warning if the PST was not available.

12. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

Ok, so when he's out of the office, he should consistently be getting warnings that it isn't available, or are you saying that he'd only be getting warnings if he's *on the network* and not getting PSTs? I'm sorry if I'm not reading you, correctly.

13. Rockn

Rockn

If he had a PST stored on the network and then was out of the office he should be receiving an error that the PST cannot be found. I don't think this is going to be the issue however.

14. burrish

burrish Thread Starter

Ok, I just got on his machine, and he's kind of rewording some things. Please have a look at the screenshot. How can I place the listing called "JCS Contacts in Personal Folders" into the Address Book so that he can see that list in the drop-down when he sends an email?

Attached Files:

15. Rockn

Rockn

Right click the address book in question and select properties:

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice