1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2007 cannot connect to mail server

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cards1007, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cards1007

cards1007 Thread Starter

I'm having a strange problem with Outlook 2007. (The computer is running Win XP SP2.) I am unable to connect to my email server when I set up my email account, although I am certain I have the account settings correct, as I've copied them exactly from another Win XP SP2 machine with Outlook 2007.

I created the account by going to the Control Panel --> Mail. When I create the account here, I can click the "Test Account Settings" button and both send and receive complete successfully. However, when I then open Outlook 2007 and do a send/receive, it fails saying it cannot connect to the server. I have created the mail accounts for two separate users under two separate windows accounts. Both windows accounts have administrator privileges.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

-Justin

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

I am suspecting that your email server may have "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" enabled.
    If so, then you might just have to click on the feature, and maybe perhaps set whatever authentication is needed (usually it is the same as your name and password).

3. cards1007

cards1007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've checked this. I've checked that literally every setting (including the "more settings") have been copied exactly from another machine running the same software using the same email account.

I suspect some sort of firewall or email/virus protection, but I've tried disabling Norton and the Windows firewall, neither of which solved the problem.

4. Krash

Krash

5. cards1007

cards1007 Thread Starter

I had to send the computer off with it's user on a week long trip. I'll follow up on this error next week when he returns.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

What kind of mail client are you using? If SPA is checked, make sure it actually needs to be checked. Is it POP3, IMAP, Exchange?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have also seen this symptom where an ISP has web mail. If the user looks at their e-mail from the web but does not log out correctly, they can't see their mail from Outlook. This is even after test send and receives worked.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice