1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2007 display plain text messages options voided

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gracemusic, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gracemusic

gracemusic Thread Starter

Outlook 2007 has begun to behave strangely.

Plain text messages received do not display in the font selected in Tools>Options>Mail Format>Stationery & Fonts>Composing and reading plain text messages

These incoming messages are suddenly displaying in a smaller font, Time New Roman 10 (or some paragraphs Tahoma 10) even though the more readable default font Consolas 10.5 is still set there.

No changes to font and size in that dialogue have any effect at all on *received* plain text messages (but new *created* messages respond to changes made in the dialogue)

Created plain text messages correctly use Consolas 10.5 or any other setting when selected, the problem is only received plain text messages.

Anyone have a clue?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Try holding the CTRL key and move the wheel of the mouse up and down. I think the viewing scale has be zoomed.

3. gracemusic

Thanks Dave, but that's just a temporary solution and needs to be done for every message. It reverts back, doesn't stick. The option for permanent display is the one that's not working.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    When I go to "Tools>Options>Mail Format>Stationery & Fonts>"

I see that is id for HTML only, where do you see that these settings are for PLAIN text?

Attached Files:

5. gracemusic

Down the bottom of that dialog is a section called "Composing and reading plain text messages". Click on the "Font" button there. That's where the setting I'm working with is.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    OK, I found the Plain text area.

Are you sure that these problem emails are plain text, any other font can not be displayed if they are?
    Open one to reply or forward and if you can change the font, then it is NOT plain text.

7. gracemusic

You're quite right, they're not Plain Text emails. I even sent a Plain Text email to myself and it's fine.

However, these received emails which are defaulting to 10 point Times New Roman or Tahoma are from people and companies who regularly send to me (and I believe they were using Plain Text). Their messages never looked so small in the past, this is a sudden change.

Do you know any global setting I can use to remedy this to get back to where I was with the default display? Ctrl-mouse wheel has to be done every time and is temporary.

Appreciate your time and intest by the way.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    ONLY the sender can control the type that you are being sent.

You might check with the senders to see if they have a option for YOU to select which type you want sent.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice