1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2007 Folder Naming Strangeness

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mr Davo, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I have a strange dilemma with my Outlook 2007 folders.

Although I have an Outlook.pst & an Archive.pst file in use, Outlook 2007 (or at least the GUI) shows that two personal folder files are in use. From previous experience I am aware that the Archie.pst file should show up with the name "Archive Folders" in the Outlook 2007 (GUI) folder list, please see this link for clarification:

http://www.systemcontrol.com.au/dd/Outlook2007-FoldersStrangeness.jpg

In the link above I have shown the typical Outlook 2007 folder layout on the right in "black & white".

I am wondering if the strange folder structure that I am seeing, e.g.: the lack of "Archive Folders" in the folder list has something to do with the files that Outlook 2007 is using.

Here is a link to the files that are in use by my Outlook 2007:

http://www.systemcontrol.com.au/dd/Outlook2007-Files.jpg

Of particular interest in my files list is the Outlook.bak file. I wondering if this file could be "interferring" with the Archive.pst file is some way.

At any rate I would like to call the second Personal Folders folder "Archive Folders" as is normal on most installations of Outlook 2007.

Any help with renaming the folder will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Kind Regards,

Davo

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi Mr Davo

What operating system are you using?

In Outlook 2007,
    File > Data File Management > Data Files tab

This window will show you the .pst files that your current Outlook profile is using and the actual name of the .pst file.
    Select the first .pst file in that window and click the: Open Folder... button. The folder containing that Personal Folders (.pst file) will open.

If AutoArchive is not enabled, you may not have an "Archive" Personal Folders.
    If AutoArchive is enabled, the Archive.pst file may be removed from the Outlook GUI and still be in operation.

You also have the ability to rename the Personal Folders within Outlook 2007 and you can rename the .pst file itself.
    Though you may need to reconnect the renamed .pst file to Outlook after the fact.

Look under:
    Tools > Options > Other tab > AutoArchive...button
    Under: Default folder settings for Archiving
    Move old items to:
    This shows the path for your Archive file.
    Compare this path with the path of the Personal Folders you believe to be your "Archive" Personal Folders in Outlook.
    If they match, you can simply change the name to Archive within Outlook.​

The Outlook.bak file may be a result of a backup operation. Do you have any backup tasks? It appears the file was created on March 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm.

If the Outlook.bak file is a result of backing up your data, you can test the file by making a copy and pasting the copy to your Desktop. Leaving that copy on the Desktop, change the extension from .bak to .pst.
    Then connect the file to Outlook 2007,
    File > Open > Outlook Data File
    Browse to the .pst file on the Desktop and select the .pst file.

If this file is a valid .pst file, it should then appear in Outlook 2007, where you can verify the contents of the folders.

As to your question, "Is the Outlook.bak file interfering?" My answer would be, "No."

Let us know what you find.

3. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

G'day,

Thanks for your input.

I was able to find a solution to my challenge by:

1). Opening Control Panl
    2). Opening Mail
    3). Clicking on Data Files
    4). Double clicking the Archive.pst file entry

In the subsequent Personal Folders dialog I was able to rename the Archive.pst.

As a result I changed the name from Personal Folders to Archive Folders & OK'd.

Now when I open Outlook 2007 I see the folder name "Archive Folders".

I guess by this reasoning you could name the folders in Outlook 2007 to anything that your heart desires!

Cheers

Davo

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Yes, you most certainly can rename those folders to anything your heart desires...or the extent of what Windows will allow. :)

Were you able to check the Outlook.bak file using the suggestion I posted?

5. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hi,

I haven't tried your suggestion with the Outlook.bak file.

However as I have already successfully renamed the Archive.pst file I am happy to leave things as they are

"If it is not broken don't fix it!" :)

Cheers

Davo

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice