1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2007 freezes under Windows 7

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lleiderm, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lleiderm

lleiderm Thread Starter

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 on my hp 64-bit laptop, Outlook 2007 freezes and has the screen messed up, like with text shifted into wrong places. It never did this until I upgraded from Vista. It can work fine for hours, and then I go off and do something else, usually with the computer just sitting idle, and when I return, Outlook 2007 is frozen. I have to kill it in program manager, and sometimes that does not even work. I have to kill the actual process.

Has anyone else been having trouble keeping Outlook running under Windows 7? If so, do you know a workaround?

Lloyd

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is the sleep or hibernation kicking in while you are gone?

Are you running on the battery?

3. fgdn17

fgdn17

4. lleiderm

lleiderm Thread Starter

I am running on AC. I am using SP2. Windows updates is on auto mode, so I think I am running the latest version.

It is not that is get slow or just stalls for awhile. It gets totally blown out of the water for no reason other than that it has just sat idle for, say, 3 hours. I am running other applications all the time in other windows, and they function fine. It is just Outlook that gives up the ghost, sometimes several times a day. Although, even that is random. Sometimes it can work pretty much all day without any problem, but that is seldom. The upper part of the screen gets pretty much destroyed, like an RPG hit it. Sometimes I can just X out of it to close it, but usually I have to ax it externally.

I "know" it has something to do with interacting with Win7, as I never had any problems with Outlook before the Win7 upgrade.

I have attached a shot of the add-ins I am using. Nothing strange there as far as I can see.

5. lleiderm

lleiderm Thread Starter

When I created the previous post, I added an attachment as a screen shot file from my computer. But I do not see it accessible anywhere in that post. How do you get an attachment to appear?

6. fgdn17

fgdn17

using SP2??? Missing something here...Windows 7 doesn't
    have any SP's yet...WHAT ARE YOU REALLY RUNNING????

You didn't try and upgrade WXP to W7 WITHOUT doing a complete reinstall did you???? Or did you upgrade Vista SP2 to Win 7???

7. lleiderm

lleiderm Thread Starter

The SP2 is for Outlook 2007, not Win 7. I upgraded from Vista SP1 or Sp2 (don't remember exactly what SP Vista was on.) to Win7 in place. It was not a complete reinstall.

I am sure surprised that Outlook, one of Microsoft's premier programs would have such a problem with their own operating system.

I take it from the responses I am getting here that other people are not experiencing such problems with Outlook. I don't know what I could have that is so unusual, as it all worked fine before the Win7 upgrade. I'm surprised that Microsoft has not issued an office patch that fixes this. But, then, I guess it is not so surprising if others are not having this problem.

Lloyd

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/896851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice