1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook 2007 - keeps asking for pop3 password

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by boboman, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boboman

boboman Thread Starter

I'm lost -- Outlook 2007 -- keep getting a dialog box asking for my username and password - when entered it ask again and again. I checked everything and it should be OK - tried rebooting -no effect -- repaired the connection string - no effect. This has worked for a long time and now is going south.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most likely a issue with the server, which you can not do anything about.
    Call your email provider.

3. boboman

boboman Thread Starter

Don't think that's the problem -- this is a gmail account -- why wife has an account also with gmail - she not using outlook and her's is working OK. Something is fishy here.

4. drewgraham

drewgraham

Every time I have seen this it has been to do with (most commonly) the password, then the server, then the connection.

I would make sure you can log into the webmail with the same password you're using for POP, then check your gmail POP / IMAP settings. Gmail can occasionally lock you out of IMAP / POP access if it suspects you're doing something fishy.

5. boboman

boboman Thread Starter

many thanks -- somehow it got resolved. I swear I didn't do anything. Just interested - how does something like this get started?

6. Rockn

Rockn

It will also prompt for a password if the mail server is unavailable.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Because there was a problem on the other end. Just because the wife's account worked, does not mean that yours will. Hers could be on a different server than yours is.

Can you just see that one server with ALL of the Gmail accounts and data on it, not going to happen. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice