1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2007 Remote Access to Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by apr911, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apr911

apr911 Thread Starter

Hey everybody,

Im hoping someone here can help me out. I am running Outlook 2007 on my laptop and Exchange 2003 on a personal server located in my apt.

When I am in my apt. connected to my wireless, as expected, I have no issues sending/receiving email through exchange.

When I am on the road however, I am obviously unable to connect to my exchange server. I setup a VPN tunnel that works successfully and when I manually dial the VPN connection or manually put outlook into offline mode (so that it dials the VPN connection), I am able to successfully get my emails through exchange.

My question is, is there away to setup outlook such that I dont have to manually dial the VPN or put it in offline mode? I set the exchange server account settings to automatically detect my connection status, but it is detecting my network connection as being ok, even though the Exchange server is not located on that network and needs to be dialed in.

I know it sounds lazy and it is, but Id rather not have to manually do anything, especially if I decide to give some of my less computer literate friends email addresses in my domain. Id rather not use IMAP and SMTP due to security issues having to open the ports on the firewall.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Obviously you are using a very unconventional setup for a non-enterprise situation. I don't think there's any other way to get administrative WAN access that wouldn't be as insecure as open ports for IMAP or SMTP.

BUT, if there is a way and someone here doesn't know, Tim Taylor at http://www.digitalnationradio.com/ContactTim.aspx might know and if you email him, he might get back to you. Worth a shot anyway.

3. apr911

apr911 Thread Starter

Well the issue isnt getting access so much as getting the access automatically.

The PPTP VPN solution does work but it does not dial automatically which may be a problem when I start giving out emails for my domain to others. If the VPN doesnt auto-dial, then they have to dial it themselves which considering they arent very computer literate, leaves a lot of room for user error.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

That's why I suggested TT as a possible source since he's an expert in small business enterprise servers running Exchange. I do think its going to come down to the fact that if you want to have a server running and the users are not particularly savvy to any interaction that differs from thier everyday methods of surfing and retrieving email, parts of it just have to be exposed to the internet which is fine as long as there are no vulnerable parts made available in that exposure. Its just the way it is unless you provide special training in how you want things accessed in your little part of the cloud.

5. apr911

apr911 Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. Ill give TT a shot but your probably right, ill probably be stuck using IMAP/SMTP... it sucks due to aforementioned security concerns and as Ive realized after playing with it some more, you lose some of the nicer features of exchange functionality like calendar sharing....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice