1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2007 will not send or receive email

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jdcaustin, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdcaustin

jdcaustin Thread Starter

Yesterday morning, Outlook 2007 simply stopped sending/receiving email. Send/receive status simply hangs, showing some variation of "receving message X of X (X.XX KB of XYZ KB). When I cancel, the send/receive function doesn't work. I shutdown and restart, same scenario. I've removed and added Outlook to no avail. I am running it on Windows 7. Appreciate any help you might offer.

2. Sponsor

3. pip22

pip22

First of all check with your email provider to see if they are having technical problems with their mail servers.

If they are not, open Outlook, click Tools > Account Settings.
    Under the Email tab, double-click your email account entry.
    Click "Test Account Settings".

4. HCD

HCD

Log onto emails directly on your ISP homepage. Is it ISP or Outlook...if you can view emails on web, you know it's Outlook.....if not ....try ISP.

5. jdcaustin

jdcaustin Thread Starter

It's Outlook. I forgot to include in the post that I can access the few email accounts I have funneling into Outlook from my browser.

6. jdcaustin

jdcaustin Thread Starter

I've found that test messages are sent when I reboot and first launch Outlook. Then it proceeds to hang on send/receive until I shut down and start again. Sometimes I receive mail on the reboot, most often I don't.

7. dtpollock

dtpollock Duncan

Hi jdcaustin

At this point, it's a little difficult to diagnose the cause of the problem. Are you receiving any error messages or anything else that could be the cause? If so, please post back with the details.

8. jdcaustin

jdcaustin Thread Starter

No error messages, it just hangs.

Now if I attempt to change the view in the mailbox, like "date" to "from", I get this error message: The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Have you tried a scanpst on each of your current PST files? If that process finds no errors then try the following:

Start out by saving your PST files to a different location. I would then do a repair of Outlook and then create a new Outlook profile and add your email accounts back one at a time. If that all goes well it may be a corrupted PST file causing your issues.

10. jdcaustin

jdcaustin Thread Starter

Hi, Rockn.
    I'm not sure what a pst file is. Is "scanpst" something in Win7 or would I need to find it online? And how would I repair Outlook? Remove and reinstall again?

I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

11. Rockn

Rockn

Scanpst is on the installation media or on your hard drive.
    How to use scanpst.exe:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497
    Office Diagnostics tool:
    All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office Diagnostics

12. jdcaustin

jdcaustin Thread Starter

I ran scanpst.exe and it showed errors and that it repaired errors. I ran the Office Diagnostics tool and it showed no errors. When I re-started and ran Outlook, it didn't contain any recovered personal folders nor a lost and found folder. Same persistent issue - it hung on send/receive. So I'm going to try the other option suggested - saving pst to a different location and then add the accounts back.

13. jdcaustin

jdcaustin Thread Starter

I changed the profile, etc. and when I re-launched Outlook (following an update from MS), it was like new. The downside is my files with other email, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes are now gone. How do I get them back? Prioritizing, contacts are most important followed by email then notes and tasks last.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026276