1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2010 - Have to Filter to See Recent Emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tehale, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tehale

tehale Thread Starter

I just upgraded to Outlook 2010 and it had been working flawlessly up until a few days ago. I now get notifications that I have new email but I can't see it unless 1.) there's a rule set to send it to a particular folder or 2.) I set the filter to "today" or "this week."

Now, this may just be some odd setting I have off (thanks to a cat who loves to curl up on my laptop keyboard any time I leave the room) but I'm at a loss. Any advice on where to look or redo my settings?

Many thanks!

2. Lobus

Lobus

Hello tehale,

To clarify, new email can only be seen if you search for it? Have you tried changing the "Arrange by:" settings? Are the emails not showing up at all, or are they going to the bottom of the inbox view?

Thanks!

3. tehale

tehale Thread Starter

Hi, Lobus, and thanks for responding.

That is correct...I have to filter the email to "Today" to see what has come in. I've changed the "Arrange by" settings several times, even changing them to something I don't want and back again to "by Date."

Anything I have set up with a rule to send it to a folder works fine. The emails within the folders are up to date. I wish I could just set everything up to go to particular folders but I'm not sure how I'd do that with new customers emailing me.

I honestly get so many emails (small business owner) that I'm not sure if I'm missing some. I had one the other day that I saw on my Blackberry but when I got home to respond and attach a file, I simply couldn't find it. Luckily, the customer emailed me again soon after with another question.

I'm diggin' Windows 7 and really like all the changes (that I've figured out) in Office 2010. This one has me stumped, though!

4. Lobus

Lobus

I have two things you can try:

1. In the window that shows all of the email for a particular folder "Arrange by" is at the top, next to "Arrange by" is a box with an arrow. Have you tried clicking that? This will change the order of what you are arranging by.

Before step 2: Click the start button -> control panel -> mail -> email accounts -> change / edit -> copy the information for the accounts

2. Create a new profile: Click the start button -> control panel -> mail -> profiles -> add profile -> name it something short and easy to remember -> set up the account using the information from the old one (please note that performing this step will cause yo to lose your existing mail depending on if you are using pop3 or imap) -> set outlook to load the new profile -> open outlook -> is the mail coming in correctly?

Yes: now we need to copy your .nk2 file (this contains all of the auto fill information when you type an address)

Open any folder -> click organize -> folder and search options -> view -> click radial button "Show hidden files and folders" -> remove check from "hide extensions of known file types"

Hit windws key + R key at the same time -> type or paste %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook -> you should see a file with the .nk2 extension but with the old name -> copy and paste file to desktop (leave old one in folder) -> rename the copy to be the same as the new profile you created (exactly the same) -> copy new file back into folder. -> hit windows key + R key again type or paste "outlook.exe /importnk2" without quotes.

If the above works and your email comes back great! If not, I can tell you how to export your email from your old profile and import it to the new one.

5. tehale

tehale Thread Starter

I will try this later today and report back. Thanks so much, Lobus!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice