1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2010 Latency with DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem installed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ToKnowOrNot, Jan 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. ToKnowOrNot

ToKnowOrNot Thread Starter

Hey, We have used Outlook 2010 for 7 years now and everything has been okay until we moved to a new office location and started using Cable instead of our fiber provider. We do not have Fiber in our new location.

With that being said, now when our Outlook reaches out to an off site, Hosted Exchange server we were getting very minor latency periodically. This became severe when we upgraded to a newer DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. Sometimes my mailbox does not update for over 30 minutes. Other times during the day is updates at regular intervals or when I send a new email.

All of the ports and standard settings on the modem are exactly the same as the previous DOCSIS 3.0 modem.
    This new device seems to be handling traffic in a different way. Any ideas might help.

Thanks a bunch.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Who is your internet provider?
    What kind of speeds are you paying for?

Who does your email hosting?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    try a ping/trace route test to the email server. In command prompt, type this

tracert <server name>

and it should show the route it goes. It may show where the bottleneck is.

4. ToKnowOrNot

DaveA - We use COX Cable for our internet services.
    Couriant - I will try the tracert when I am back at work. I think it has something to do with the way the new modem routes different types a internet traffic or COX web servers themselves.

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What kind of speeds are you paying for?
    Cox just may have higher speed at higher cost.

6. ToKnowOrNot

Dave advising me about internet speed or increasing it is no help at all. This in my case is not a solution or valid recommendation.
    As I stated above the speed has not changed, just the router and possibly COX cable routed traffic has and then my problems started.
    Thanks for your reply but I need real technical help here.

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The speed is a factor. The cable verses Fiber speeds are different.
    Just like there is a difference between dial up, DSL and cable.

You also need to remember that Cable is a shared line, so more users on line the slower it will be.
    Cox is also been know to be slower that some of the others such a Comcast.
    I know that Comcast (who I am using) does have different speeds for the price.
    To get the best speeds one needs to get the business package from Comcast.
    I do not know what Cox offers.

I do not know where you are but this link will give you an idea of what I have been trying to get to you.
    https://www.cox.com/aboutus/policies/speeds-and-data-plans.html

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  8. ToKnowOrNot

The issue I am having is not related to the speed as we are basically maxed out in our location 300 x 30. I am firmly aware of these basic issues you've presented and again they are not specifically relevant for the issue I have described. Do you work for COX CABLE? You sound like a cable technician.
    To reiterate we did not have the issue until we upgraded to a newer style high speed Modem with DOCSIS 3.1 software. <-- I believe the issue lies somewhere in this software or firmware and possibly how it communicates over the COX backbone.

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    NO, I do not work for Cox and have never worked for any internet provider.
    I have bee been a cable user since the days of AT Home long before Comcast bought them out.

In my book "minor latency periodically" and "my mailbox does not update for over 30 minutes" both have to do with the speed of the connection.

Has COX said that this Modem is compactable with their equipment?

10. ToKnowOrNot

Thanks for your help DaveA I really do appreciate it but I've got all the basic down pat. Like you, I've been around for a few days. COX installed the modem.. It better be compatible. :) ha ha.. It is part of their business class higher speed offering. There is something with the way it is routing our secure email that is causing the issue I believe and only a serious network programmer or the device manufacturer/programmer will be able to resolve it. Cox in my area probably does not have much experience with this device yet. Bottom line is this antiquated cable succs but that is all we have in this location for now.

I will certainly update the thread if I ever find a solution that does not include going to a fiber optic web connection.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you have the fiber connection with Cox?

(PS I used to work for an ISP.... )

12. ToKnowOrNot

No, we had a previous fiber connection with Verizon.. Also, we had a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem with COX and the EMAIL was functioning quite well.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So it's quite possible there is a lag on Cox's network.

Are you able to ping the email server? If so, do a trace route.

Also, use an email header analyzer to see if there are any hops/servers that are lagging.

14. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Who is your email provider (host)?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice