1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2010

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DRGW, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DRGW

DRGW Thread Starter

Hi

I hope somebody can help.

I've not long got my laptop back after it's annual health check.

For some unknown reason my Outlook data file (PST) is now in my documents folder in a folder of it's own.

I did query this and was told that it is now common to put it here!

How do I put it back to where it was before as it worked perfectly well there.

Looking around on the Internet there are a couple of folders it could have gone to.

Which is the correct one to put it in?

2. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi DRGW

*pst file
    In Outlook 2010, click the File tab.
    Click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.
    On the Data tab, click an entry, and then click Open Folder Location.
    Outlook Data Files (.pst) created by using Outlook 2010 are saved on your computer in the Documents\Outlook Files folder. If you are using Windows XP, these files are created in the My Documents\Outlook Files folder.

If you upgraded to Outlook 2010 on a computer that already had data files created in previous versions of Outlook, these files are saved in a different location in a hidden folder.
    Windows 7 and Windows Vista – Usualy in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    Windows XP - Usually in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

*ost – Outlook Data File (if you are on an exchange at work)
    The .ost file is synchronized with the items on the server that runs Exchange. Because your data remains on the Exchange server, you can re-create this .ost file on your new computer without having to back up the .ost file.
    Windows 7 and Windows Vista drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    Windows XP drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Find out where the location of the file is, write this down, so you know the location of it, then highlight the data file again and delete.

Then click on Add, and browse to the new location where you put the file, and add it, exit out of the control panel all together and then open Outlook 2010 and it will be there again in the location you put it.

3. DRGW

DRGW Thread Starter

Hi Ozziebeanie

Thanks for your reply.

The PST file is now in Documents/Outlook files. It is there on it's own with no other files.

I use Windows 7 and can't find any folder called AppData or Application Data.

The other ting I have also noticed is my hard drive is now split C & D. It was C before I took it for a health check.

Is it possible to make it C on it's own?

Wish I hadn't bothered with the health check now as it has come back with problems it didn't have in the first place. :-(

4. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    If you are not happy with what the computer business has done, you need to take it back and ask them to put things back as they where, that you only asked them to clean up not set up the computer how they like it, which is what I suspect they have done.

Any good business would take it back and have a look at it and ask you more details on what was wrong when you got it back.

If you only asked that they give it a bit of a cleanup and scan etc to maintain it and do any updates if needed that is all they should have done.

If they want your business again they will fix it up

People like their computer set up a certain way, it can take a couple of weeks to get it exactly how you want it from the beginnings of a new image.

It would piss me off is someone changed all that on me, if I did not do it all myself to start with.

5. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Yes you can go back to just one partition if you don’t have anything on the other D drive and use a partition program which is what a shop would use when you take it back to put it back to how it was

6. DRGW

DRGW Thread Starter

I've contacted the computer store who gave my laptop it's health check.

I was told that they follow Microsoft guidelines with regard to moving files etc as it makes the computer run smoother!

With the PST file what would you recommend? Shall I leave it where it is or move it to where it was before?

7. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi Drgw

Obviously they are not going to do anything but I would have insisted, a computer is a personal thing and if they only follow guidelines like that they should have informed you, and told you what that meant.

To me if someone brings a computer to you, if they want certain things done, you do that and nothing else, it up to you if you want to move that pst but you will have to re- associate it again, by un-associating it then re-adding it. via data file tab.

8. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Hi Drgw

If you have to take it back there again (if it’s the only place in town or something) at any time, say to them what you want done and tell them to do not follow guide lines and do stuff you have not asked them to do (as they did last time) and only do what you want done and give them a list, keep a copy for yourself.

If they cannot do that, then maybe find some other avenue to get help in maintaining your computer, or some here may recommend some programs to do that, I don’t like to recommend any as what I choose, some may not like and I am sure Tech Support Guy has some good suggestions

I personally have not heard of files been moved about unless they are moving saved stuff they don’t want often to another partition. Cleaning out usually means removing cookies or temp files etc

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice