1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Outlook 2013 doesn't have folders from Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by EBSchrader, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EBSchrader

EBSchrader Thread Starter

I used Zinstall to move all my files/programs from my old computer to my new one in the last few days. I also upgraded the new one from 8.1 to Win10 after the migration. Knowing Win10 doesn't work with MSOffice2007, I subscribed to MSOffice365 in the new computer. Now, Outlook 2013 doesn't show the same folders I had in Outlook 2007, and I need to know where all my saved files went and how to import them to this system. (They are still sitting in my old computer, if I have to copy them to a zip drive & move them again.)

2. EBSchrader

Oops! I just discovered that my contacts and address book are also missing from the new program. :( Did I delete everything -- data, contacts, address book, etc. -- when I removed MSOffice 2007 including Outlook 2007 from this new computer? If so, how do I import them from my old one again?

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Office 2007 does work with Windows 10. You need to look at the old machine to find where the Outlook files are stored. By default they are in your profile but this setting can be changed. Search for .PST files.

4. EBSchrader

How interesting the MS Tech Support person told me specifically that Word 2007 and Publisher 2007 will NOT work with Win10. Those are the programs I use the most, in addition to Outlook. Will my address book/contacts also be .PST files? I need to find all of them. Once they are located, how do I move them to the new computer? Zip drive?

5. cybertech

Microsoft web Site http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home says it is compatible. I personally have not attempted it with my own machine that uses Office. You can also look for Publisher on the compatibility site to see if it works with W10. Based on what I see it is.

Here is a very detailed web site to help you with the project. https://support.office.com/en-in/article/move-an-outlook-data-file-from-one-computer-to-another-e7b2e7b2-fb87-406c-85c7-04d4b69cf9a0

No since in reinventing the wheel when the information is readily available. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or run into problems. :)

6. EBSchrader

Thanks, Cybertech. I already found that second reference & am working with it, even as we speak. :) Too bad about 2007 -- I wasn't ready to change, but the MSOffice Tech talked me into it...

7. cybertech

8. EBSchrader

I'll try it. As my mother used to say, "It couldn't hurt."

9. cybertech

It's a good thing to do from time to time especially if you delete old emails as it makes the file smaller where deleting an email doesn't.

10. cybertech

How are things going?

11. EBSchrader

I'm stuck! The instructions tell me to write down the complete path and file name of the .pst file, which I have done. Then it tells me to "Use Windows Explorer to copy each .pst file from its default location in the drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder to any folder on your computer that you want." (The spaces & capitalization are exactly the way it reads in the document.) When I right click on my Start Button to open Windows Explorer, it goes to Libraries and there is no way to find my .pst file from there. What can I try next?

12. EBSchrader

I didn't receive this notice. I just checked back to add my latest problem and saw you had posted again.

13. cybertech

To find the location of the PST file(s)... open Outlook 2007, click File, Data Management. On the Data Files tab, double click the data file you want to work on.
    See where it says Filename? That is the location of the file and they will all, more than likely, be in the same location. upload_2015-9-26_4-30-2.png

14. EBSchrader

I know that. What I don't know is how to move that file to my zip drive, so that I can migrate it to my new computer! How am I supposed to use Windows Explorer to pluck that file up and move it? The only place I see it is where you have indicated. This is the final stumbling block in moving permanently into my new computer and reformatting this one for disposal. *sigh*

15. cybertech

I have to tell you it has been a very long time since I've used a "zip drive". I gather it's not a copy/paste action? It would be better, in terms of actions to get the file there, to copy rather than move just in case something goes wrong. Help me understand what actions are available for the zip drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice