1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2013 / e-mail search question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by smoddelm, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoddelm

smoddelm Thread Starter

I downloaded the Office 2013 preview and used it for a while (without uninstalling Office 2010). One thing that I didn't like is that, although my e-mails were indexed for searching within Outlook 2013, using Windows unified search (clicking the Microsoft button and searching for a phrase, for example) only turned up old e-mails that had been received and indexed when I was using Outlook 2010, but nothing received after installing 2013. Also, no previews of the old e-mails were available in the preview pane of the search window. Maybe all this was because I still had 2010 installed?

I'm interested in buying 2013 but I'm not going to do it if I can only search for e-mails within Outlook or if I can't preview them using Windows search. Can someone confirm for me whether 2013 is working as 2010 did with respect to Windows search, inlcuding previews if the preview pane is selected? Thanks..

2. smoddelm

smoddelm Thread Starter

OK, I answered my own question by shelling out $99 for Office 365 Home. Microsoft continues to believe that users don't want to use Windows search to search for e-mail messages or their contents, even though Microsoft itself delivered this technology when it first released Desktop search and then integrated it with Windows in Vista and Win 7. I use this feature literally every day. It's very frustrating when a software company takes something away that people have found useful, for no apparent reason. I can't believe that it was somehow not possible to retain the feature - it seems more likely that it took some work to disable it.

Yes, I do know that I can search for my e-mails within Outlook 2013. That's not how search is effective for me. I'm looking for something that I know I have, and I don't know if it's in a document, an e-mail, or whatever. I want to do what I've been able to do for several years now - one search to find my information, wherever it may be.

Even more frustrating, I can't keep Outlook 2010 as my e-mail client and use Office 365 for all the other Office suite apps (Word 2013, Excel 2013, etc.). Even if I keep and use Outlook 2010 as my "default" e-mail client, that doesn't solve my problem, and anyway, even with the default box checked in Outlook 2010, it's not really the default. Why do I say this? Because I uninstalled Office 365 and left Outlook 2010 (and the rest of Office 2010) installed, but Windows now tells me that I have no default e-mail client, no matter how much I fool around with the Default Programs. I had to do a system restore to a restore point prior to the installation of Office 365 in order to return to my (eveidently outdated) version of "normal."

3. smoddelm

smoddelm Thread Starter

Here's a very strange "solution." Windows 8 shares Outlook 2013's abandonment of returning e-mails in "shell search." In fact, there really isn't a comparable search function in Win 8 - in Win 8 you select whether you're searching apps, files, etc., but there's no built-in function that will search Outlook nor is there a way (as far as I can tell) to say please search apps AND files AND people and whatever the other choices are. However, if you are running Win 8, you can install the third-party Start8 program that restores the "start" button in Win 8's desktop view. If you search using the Start8 "Start" button, your search results will include Outlook 2013 e-mails.
    The reason I call the solution "strange" is because both Win 8 and Outlook 2013 share Microsoft's new "truth" that people don't want to do this kind of search, and in fact it makes me pessimistic about their restoring the functionality that's gone with Outlook 2013 - it doesn't exist in Win 8 even if you're still using Outlook 2010, so why expect that they'll add it back to Outlook 2013? So it's ironic that the only way I can find to get what I want with Outlook 2013 is to install Win 8.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice