1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2013 Sent email folder always empty

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cwwozniak, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Our company uses Google mail for our email service. I have two IMAP accounts set up in Outlook 2013. Recently, all of the old Sent folder contents disappeared for one of the accounts and newly sent emails do not show up in it as well. The sent folder is working fine for the other account.

All of the sent messages do show up in the Sent folder when I access the account with my web browser. Recipients are receiving the emails. If I reply to an email in Outlook some of the received emails show an icon that I have replied, but not all of them. As far as I know, I have not changed any settings in Outlook 2013 or on the Google server.

Do I need to be checking and changing a setting in Outlook 2013 and or on the Google server?

A coworker reported today that they are having the same problem with their account. We are both running Windows 8.1 Pro.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I would say that this is a change that was at the server level of Google mail.

What are the settings for the sent mail in Options?
    They should be in Outlook
    File, Options, Mail
    Then scroll down to the Save messages and make sure that there is a check mark for "Save copy.......sent file folder"
    OK yourself out.

3. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Both the account that isn't showing sent mail and the one that is both have "Save copy.......sent file folder" unchecked, as this was causing duplicate sent messages to a appear in the Sent folders. Everybody's accounts were getting duplicate sent emails when we switched to Outlook 2013 and IMAP accounts a number of months ago. Google mail, by default, automatically saves copies in a Sent folder, as mentioned on this other support site.

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/prevent-duplicate-sent-items-gmail

I suspect that the problem may be the problematic account is showing a local Sent folder while the OK account is showing the Google mail server's Sent folder. Since several people are having this problem on different accounts, we asked our outside IT support company to check into it. They will be remotely be logging into at least my computer to see what is going on.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Our IT consultant spent part of the weekend with remote connections and was in our office for most of yesterday morning and early afternoon trying to find the cause of the problem on several accounts. The roblems seemed to have started and a number of computers around November 9th or 10th. He could not figure out if Google changed something in their server behavior or if a Windows 8.1 or Office update changed our sent email behavior.

His solution / work around for the problem was to add a GoogleMail folder on each Outlook 2013 IMAP account and then have Inbox and Sent sub-folders. It ain't pretty, but it works. He will continue to investigate the cause.

I will leave this unsolved for now. I will mark it solved if he does not come up with a better solution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice