1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2013 shared contacts off server view

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ngk0585, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

Win 7 with Outlook 2013 installed. Working as client to MS server
    We have a shared contacts file for everyone in the building (10 clients) called "AMAG Contacts"

My Contacts – (now called People in O-2013)
    Opens to my personal contacts (no prob). Not AMAG Contacts, but I can click on AMAG Contacts and open it OK. New emails default to the AMAG contacts OK. this Q is for whan I am opening the Contacts list.
    When I click on AMAG Contacts it has a list of pictures and names.

When I open AMAG Contacts I can click >View>Change view>By Category (or whatever??)
    BUT – neither AMAG Contacts nor my view change is persistent. I want the changed view to be persistent across closing O2013 and reopening it

1. Is there a way to default to AMAG contacts when opening contacts?
    2. Is there a way to make my view of choice persistent? I like the Category view.

I cannot find any dialog that allows me to do the above.
    Several others in the building have asked the same question and I think the older versions are more straightforward and controllable.
    Can this be done? I perused Outlook options and saw nothing there either.
    Pls advise
    Thank you

2. Antman

Antman

3. PEye2000

PEye2000

Before can send message other end must accept, LOL, also see your fb, page for photos, John

4. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

Antman
    Your suggestion seems right except I'm doing it the other way around. I will try the Tools Options menu today. I think it is already set to select the shared contacts, thus when I start a new email ti automatically selects the shared contacts. This is confusing to do that and then not default to the shared contacts when I open all contacts. I will report back what happens.

PEye2000
    What???

5. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

Antman
    Your link is good and does in fact presume to change what I need. However, it does not work as advertised. I set the contacts list to open to the shared contacts and the new email "TO" works but has no effect on opening the "People". The - "When opening the address book, show this list first" - is indeed set to the shared contacts.

6. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

I think we've found a flaw on MS Office 2013

7. ngk0585

ngk0585 Thread Starter

Are all u techies out there giving up on this? OR as I suggested I've found a couple of software errors.
    Also, when I click on "People" at the bottom it defaults to "My contacts" not the shared contacts. Strange that the People/Directory pops up different than when I open a new email and click on "TO" which give me the shared contacts.
    Also the View cannot be set persistently. It always defaults to the view like, but I cannot make the selection of the shared contacts to be persistent, or even have the view persistent.
    btw: persistent definition here means that it performs the same way each time it is selected.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice