1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Outlook 2016 Disproportionate Window Panes Part 2

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cr33kbed, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cr33kbed

cr33kbed Thread Starter

I am once again having this issue whereas the sidepanels and the ribbon within the desktop side of Outlook 2016 are out of proportions again (basically enlarged). I'm mostly going to reference the old thread I marked solved since it's the same issue, although this time it's a different user and the solution there of reimaging the machine did not permanently work here for some reason. Initially it worked, but on a restart the problem returned (and this happened after two tries at reimaging).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2016-disproportionate-window-panes.1215030/

DPI settings are normal (100% scaling), and resolution does not appear to factor in its appearance. This is only the second user I've seen this with though so judging from searches it doesn't appear to be a widespread bug with a Windows update at all.

Has anyone seen this before and know of a fix? Outlook does let you format email panes and columns and the like but not the actual left panel, right panel (if it's enabled), and the ribbon pane.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    On my Outlook 365 (2016) all one needs to do is hoover the mouse over the line between folder listing and the email listing, until the double arrow appears and then drag to your hearts desire.

Also make sure that Outlook window (pane) is wide enough to display all of the ribbon bar.

3. cr33kbed

cr33kbed Thread Starter

Good idea, I haven't messed with that. Unfortunately though, that doesn't seem to be it. In the previous thread the ribbon pane was enlarged to the point where it wouldn't show the whole thing. Same case here, and it's not something that's customizable like the folder pane line is.

It's like a permanent DPI setting is applying to the window panes itself. It can be made wide enough to fit the ribbon pane in but it's moreso than normal.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are any of these machines using the older tube type of monitors?
    As they are limited to the what resolutions can be used. Also some of the older flat screen have the same issues.

5. cr33kbed

cr33kbed Thread Starter

Flatscreens, relatively new ones at that (HDMI compat at least).

I'm marking this as solved as, once again, I found a roundabout way around it. Setting the custom scaling to 101% seems to have fixed it. Another strange oddity I suppose.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have seen this before and if I remember its due to scaling. I will look at my notes to see if I documented the fix as I haven't seen it again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice