1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2016 missing address book problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 28, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

A friend called and said his PST file was corrupt. I went there, copied his PST file, brought it home, repaired it using scanpst.exe. Took it back and everything is back to normal except his address book is empty.

I've still got a copy of his PST file here and the address book doesn't show up here either.

In case it matters, we had to create a new log-in profile on his system before we could get Outllook to run at all.

So, where is the address book data?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you sure that he was using the Contacts and NOT the Nickname list?
    A lot of user thing think when on types in the to frame and names start shoeing, that it is the Contacts.
    BUT, it is the Nickname list.

Just reread your post and the Address book, yet a third entity. It is a hangover from the Outlook Express days and it is the Address book from OE.

3. Alex Ethridge

I'm not familiar enough with Outlook to know what you are writing about. Please explain further how knowing that is supposed to help.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    As one types in an email address to start an new, forward or reply, it is added to the Nickname List.
    One must add addresses to Contacts by right clicking the sender within an email or by going to Contacts and clicking New Contact and then enter the info.

5. Alex Ethridge

OK, Let's say he was entering them into his Nickname list and let's say I wanted to view that list. How would I view that list?

Now let's say they were being entered into Contacts. How would I view that list.

Please pardon my ignorance. I learned that Outlook was nothing but trouble two decades ago so I dropped it and simplified my life with Eudora and then later with Thunderbird.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    There no way that I have to view the Nickname list.
    To get to the contacts, just click the Contact icon in the lower left of the main Outlook window.

EDIT
    It is what is used for the "Auto Complete"
    the following may be of some help
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2199226

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  7. Alex Ethridge

OK, I guess we've established, then, that there are no contacts in his contacts list.

Is there possibly something in his old Windows log-in name/profile that we could copy into the new profile that would restore the nicknames list?

Bear in mind, though, that Outlook aborts with an error message in the old profile so whatever we transfer has to be a file or files located somewhere in the old profile folder.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    About mid way down the link that I posted above talks about importing.
    But you will need to find the NK file in the old account first.

I would suggest that he right clicks the email address within his current listing of emails and add them to the Contacts.
    The entry is listed as "Add to Outlook Contacts".
    This way he will not have to worry about losing them again.
    As he enters any new address they will be added to the nickname list but not the Contacts.
    So he will need to add that person and email address to the Contacts.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    if i remember, in the olden days that was the .wab file that stored the email addresses. What version of Outlook is the person using?

10. Alex Ethridge

In the title of this thread.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My bad:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Offline Address Book should be the location. Note: AppData folder is hidden by default.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice