1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2016 & Third party email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TimAinsworth, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimAinsworth

TimAinsworth Thread Starter

G'day,

Looking for advice on what my problem could be. I'm running an older computer (can't afford new one just yet) and late last year I was given access to Office 2016, courtesy of my employer.

Since then, running three email accounts, thwo of them work well, both Bigpond.com accounts, the third seemingly freezes my computer with a busy I/O to the hard drive. With this I've even let it run overnight to see if it was just downloading excess emails from this account or some other data, still continues to sit with a busy I/O at the drive. During this time the computer is unuseable, mouse and keyboard won't respond, only way out is to hold the power button till it shuts down.

My system is running Win 10 with Office 2016 and the third party email account is hosted via irataweb.net.au, which via it's IT support I have been assured that it's running properly, even had that email account rebuilt to ensure the problem wasn't there.

Any thoughts?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how have you setup the irataweb.net.au ?
    using IMAP?

3. TimAinsworth

G'day Wayne,

I've tried setting up with IMAP, and SMPT. I must have a conflict here somewhere, but can't see it.

I've got a ratty old laptop with Win7 and eM Client, I can access the account and download all emails without any hassles.

I was using my computer with Win10 and Office 2007 without any drama, problem started when I went to Office 2016.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    IMAP and SMTP is fine
    so it will sync all the emails between devices
    have you tried removing the account and setting up again

You upgraded Office from 2007 on the windows 10 PC to 2016 on the windows 10 PC and then things started going wrong

A while ago on office 2013/2016 outlook there was an issue with outlook and an SFC resolved the issue

try
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Lets do a system file check, and check the Windows files.

System File Checker - SFC /scannow

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
    Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    open the command prompt as administrator
    Start> All Programs> Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

SFC /scannow
    This will take some time to scan (hours) and you will get 1 of 4 possible results​

1. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. - This means that you do not have any missing or corrupted system files.
    2. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
    3. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    4. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

If you do receive the message in 3 or 4
    Lets see a log file

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

• This will place a file on your desktop called sfcdetails.txt which contains the results of the scan.
    • Copy and Paste the contents of the file into your next post.
    =================================================================

5. TimAinsworth

Apologies for the delay.

After running SFC /scannow I got the first result above.

Also to note that I have, at various times, removed the email account in question, and added again with the same overall results I i stated above and I'm currently using Outlook without any issues. I have also added Thunderbird, worked fine for a day or two then locked up, this sort of hints that the issue would be with the provider, but I can't confirm that till I make sure the issue isn't at my end.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have any other device ? to try the email account with

7. TimAinsworth

I've typed this earlier...

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    glad you have it sorted now

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice