1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook 2016

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bassfisher6522, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Thread Starter

I just did a clean install of windows 10 Pro and Office 2016 pro plus.

I have 6 email accounts. When I move my inbox folders for each account to the favorites section....it only keeps 3 and the other 3 are gone...disappeared. I re-add the other 3 and all is well, close outlook, hours later open it only to find that the same 3 inbox folders are missing again. What gives?

2. bassfisher6522

3. draceplace

draceplace

I have to say I haven't run Outlook on my personal machine in years. I like the security of opening emails on the 'cloud' to insulate my local box from bad stuff sometimes sent in emails.

Check this in Outlook > Preferences > General > uncheck the box that says 'group similar folders..'

Not running 16 (probably why no one is offering help, they aren't using it). Are separate PST files set up for each account? Also does each 'mailbox' list separately under mail items ?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How did you move these inboxes?

How many "PST" files do you have?

Are the POP or internet type of accounts?

5. bassfisher6522

Drag/drop.

I don't know....not sure where to look for them.

Some are and some are not.

I have 6 email accounts. 3 are outlook.com, 1 is live.com, 1 is with my ISP (centurylink) and 1 is gmail.

the 3 outlook.com are MS Exchange
    the live.com is MS Exchange
    the ISP is pop3/smtp
    the gmail is IMAP/smtp

6. bassfisher6522

There is no box for "group similiar" under the "General" tab.

7. draceplace

draceplace

As mentioned I don't have 2016 to refer to. If the mailboxes are listed in the left side folder panel not sure the 'favorites' is buying you much. But it each one is called 'inbox' then 'favorites' may be having trouble keeping that sorted out.

this will not bring back your favorites but it may clear up corruption and it might start working correctly.

Start-> type; outlook.exe /resetnavpane

If still problems You might check your event logs, outlook may have problems closing correctly and not saving your changes. Not sure how one would fix that other than starting with a new outlook profile

8. bassfisher6522

I've got it fixed....well I think so. It's been OK since my last post.....so 2 plus hours.

So, instead of drag/dropping the inbox folder into the Favorites section....I right clicked on the 3 misbehaving inboxes and selected "show in favorites" and to my surprise, that seemed to have fixed it.

I thank you guys for your time and effort.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice