1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2016

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HFadalah, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HFadalah

HFadalah Thread Starter

Hi ..
    it is to slow to open an old message in outlook (messages that more than one year) ..
    is that normal?
    I am using windows 10 pro 64-bit, with SSD Hard Drive

Gratefully

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  2. britekguy

britekguy

Compared to more recent messages, and if you're using IMAP protocol, the answer is "Yes," though you'd have to define exactly how much slower.

IMAP downloads the message headers for all messages on the server, but it only generally downloads message bodies for recent messages (and I can't define recent - it's generally the e-mail client that determines how far back from today "recent" is considered) and purges those message bodies from local storage as the messages age past "the recent period."

When you access a message from a long time ago, a call is made to the server to retrieve the message body itself so you can read it. Sometimes this process is very, very fast if the server isn't really busy at the moment and other times it takes longer.

3. HFadalah

HFadalah Thread Starter

Thanks for replying ..

I am using Microsoft Exchange as a type of my outlook emails ..
    and the exactly time of the slowing usually is up to five seconds

4. britekguy

britekguy

You'll have to wait for input from others using the MS-Exchange protocol when they are retrieving older messages. All my accounts are IMAP and I have no way to even test with Exchange. You might also want to contact your e-mail service provider to ask about this just to see what they have to say about expected retrieval time for "old" messages.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice