Solved Outlook 2016

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DRGW

Having had a fresh install of Windows following an upgrade to my laptop, I have been getting programs back onto my laptop today.

Initially I had a few issues in trying to get Outlook 2016 working with Sky email but this is now resolved.

However, I now have 2 data files. One is a PST file which was is a back-up from just before my fresh install of windows. I also have a OST file which is the one where new emails are going to. The PST file is the most up to date one as it has all of my emails on and is the one I would prefer to keep.

How can I merge the 2 files (if this is indeed possible being in different formats). Or would it be possible to have Outlook linked to the PST files instead? Not sure what the differences in formats are.

Thanks

crjdriver

I am no outlook expert however have you tried simply importing the pst file?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OST files are used by IMAP accounts, such as from an Exchange server. You can import the PST file into your existing Outlook setup. I would recommend you create a sub-folder underneath your Inbox before you start this process. Call it something like "Previous Emails", or whatever works best for you. Alternatively, you can just let it import into the existing folder structure, but be careful you don't over-write any existing emails.

From there, have a read of this page and follow the instructions carefully.

DRGW

At the moment I have Outlook showing the PST data and also the new OST data.

I'd rather have only the PST data as this is set out in folders which I had previously set-up.

How can I delete the OST data file and have the PST data file as the default? This is how it used to be on Outlook 2016 before I did a fresh install of Windows.

DRGW

I've deleted the OST file and am trying to set Outlook 2016 up by using the PST file (as it was before).

Sky's help pages are not very helpful as there appears to be conflicting information. Using a POP3 account type, I do have the option of using an existing data file (PST) which I don't have if I use a IMAP account.

I just need the various settings to set it up. Inadvertently, I omitted to make a note of the settings prior to the fresh install.

DRGW

Using trial, error and various forums, I have managed to get it working as it was before.

Note to self. Make a note of the settings for future use!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online