1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2K Address Book

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by HostaMan, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HostaMan

HostaMan Thread Starter

I changed an email address in my address book from [email protected] to [email protected]. Every time I send an an email to the AOL address, it sends it to the MSN address which is returned as "not found". What did I do/not do to cause this and how can I fix it?

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Are you sure you changed (and SAVED) it in the Windows Address Book and not just in your Outlook (Contacts)?? ....Open Outlook then Ctrl+Shift+b will give you the W.A.B as will Start>Run Type "wab"(no quotes)...check to make sure New addy is the same both places

3. HostaMan

HostaMan Thread Starter

Did both before I submitted question. Did again using your method. Same result. Even tried 'Find' and got same results. thanks.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are you actually typing in the new e-mail address in the To: box or the name of the person.

The problem can be simply that the old address is still stored in your Outlook Nickname file. Either manually delete that entry or delete the entire nickname file.

The Nickname Cache is used by Outlook for automatic name checking and the automatic completion.
    I you want to clear the cache with the list of names that Outlook shows when sending an e-mail

Close Outlook
    Start the Windows Explorer
    With the focus on the root of the C: drive, search for *.NK2
    You will find a file that starts with your profile name
    Rename this file
    Restart Outlook
    Outlook will start rebuilding the file over again.

5. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Bob has a good point and one I had forgotten about; BUT Outlook 2K used *.nick not nk2. IIRC nk2 extention started with 2002

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

7. HostaMan

HostaMan Thread Starter

Bob - I have tried typing in the 'To' box. I used a nickname and after sending it , I open the note before it goes out. I right-click on the name in the 'To' box and then on properties and the correct one is always there.

JW - used your suggestion '*.nick2' and didn't find anything.

Then Bob provided me with two links, one of which was led me to a download of nick2.exe. I downloaded and executed it and got the list which I cleared. Sent out a new note and am waiting for the results.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let you know if it works.

8. HostaMan

HostaMan Thread Starter

Seems to be working so far. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice