Outlook 365 adding AOL account

TomWestbrk

I have gotten Office 365 (whatever the new brand is) and want to use Outlook 365 as my email program. I have been trying to add my AOL account to Outlook. I have tried both the automatic setup as well as manual setup. I have also referenced the MS help page making sure that the AOL server info is correct. After a few weeks of trying, I am still unable to add my AOL account to Office 365. Could someone assist me?

NB: I was using Outlook 2007 fine until MS cut it off on another computer.

-Thanks in advance

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What error messages are you getting when you manually add it? And I assume the Outlook 365 is the client and not the online version?

TomWestbrk

"something went wrong....We couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again." with the following options:

--> not *****@aol.com?
--> change account settings
--> contact support

Of course the email and password are correct (I used the 'eye' to show the password).

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you have 2-factor authentication activated on your account?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Also what network security do you have? Norton/AVG/etc.

TomWestbrk

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK if you have 2 factor authentication turned on, it may cause issues logging into the account from a client.

In the security options online, you should see something like Less Secure Apps. (note, Outlook365 can work with other secured emails but it could be how AOL works).

You should be able to create a separate password for your email account, which you would use instead of your current password. I would think that would get you in.

I don't think we need to do anything with Kaspersky just yet since the error is indicating a password issue.

TomWestbrk

OK if you have 2 factor authentication turned on, it may cause issues logging into the account from a client.

You should be able to create a separate password for your email account, which you would use instead of your current password. I would think that would get you in.
I changed my AOL password and turned TFA off....still the same results as above.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try disabling Kaspersky and see if that helps... other than that, I am not sure why it would say you cannot connect.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
do you want to try another client like Mail or Thunderbird to make sure it's not an user credential issue?

TomWestbrk

I got it to work. Had to enable TFA and generate an "app password" for the program. Much different from my experience. Thanks for everyones help.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I got it to work. Had to enable TFA and generate an "app password" for the program. Much different from my experience. Thanks for everyones help.
the app password is not the 'less secure password', or a separate area? for my knowlege

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online